Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2007, 03:28 PM

Default Re: How Good 2

I've been meaning to read this for a while now and read through to problem 7. I'm not sure if this is the forum to discuss it but since Byron is monitoring this thread I will talk about it here.

I really don't like the answer for the river section of this problem (when SB calls the CO bet). Based on the reads given in the problem when CO bets we definitely have enough odds to call him if SB folded (I say this only to add credence to my argument). When SB calls, do we have enough odds to overcall? I think we certainly do, especially in a 10/20 or 15/30 game online.

The SB is supposed to be a very good player and he has done nothing in this hand except call call call. If he was good, and he had us beat he really should have come alive earlier in the hand so just because he calls on the river doesn't mean we should fold. The read on the CO is that he bets and raises with mediocre to bad hands and draws and slow plays big hands... well, then we should have him beat.

I'm certainly not arguing that we have both of these players beat all of the time (I know I wrote it that way, but I really meant that there has to be a fairly good chance we are ahead here). I don't have the book in front of me, but we must be getting around 18-1 or more to overcall on the river and I think we will win this pot way more than the requisite amount.

Also, when SB does actually CR this river I think we have him beat an awful lot there as well. I would fold, but his CR is really really suspicious and if he is a good player I think it is likely he has a hand that he believes is better than CO but maybe not as good as ares and wants to get rid of us. I dont' disagree with the fold reccomendation, but this could have been addressed a little better. SB really played his hand horrible here and it's almost misleading that we are classifying him as a really good player.

So far, I have really liked everything else in the book (and think it is really good) but I really don't agree with this answer.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:35 PM

Doesn't Byron also have a set of videos out? Shorthanded limit, I think...
Old 04-05-2007, 05:47 PM

Aren't Byrons DVD's about limit heads up play ?
Old 04-05-2007, 05:48 PM

yeah, "heads up hold'em," part of the expert hold'em series. I'm thinking of picking them up after i watch Fromm's short handed set.