Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2006, 03:33 AM

Default Interesting Situation First hand of MTT

I am unsure if what I did here is correct, I'll give my reasons for my actions and how the hand turned out, I want to hear if my reasoning is wrong, or if my hand was simply not good enough, or whatever.

First hand of a $10 5k guaranteed MTT on bodog. there were just over 500 people playing.
I have 88 UTG. I decide to even the field out some and raise to 100 at 5/10.
MP1 thinks for a while and moves all in for 1500.
MP2 calls.
MP3 calls.
I think for a while and call.

Now you may feel this is blatant spewing but bear with me for a second. My rationale at the time of calling the all in is that I want to get big or get out. I feel with a 6k stack at the end of the first hand, I can definitely devote my efforts to this tournament and probably get somewhere in it. I do feel that im good enough that on average I can at least get in the top 40% of players, but I feel like if I have the chance to quad up early I should take the chance. I have checked the odds of 8s vs various hands and I saw I was at worst like 15% to win the hand, just assuming noone is pushing with 8x or another 88 to completely wreck my chances. I'd say the avg % for me to win the hand is like 18,19,20%ish, assuming I never have the biggest pair in the hand. Is that a bad assumption? Also, I feel like at least MP2 and MP3 dont have me beat that often, depending on the player, I can see the call with any pair and any decent suited ace. Maybe I just underestimate their ranges, but I think that many people see the allin and just decide to try to double or triple up first hand(kinda like me).

The way it turned out was that MP1 had KK, MP2 had AJc, and MP3 had 33. AJ hit the wheel to win the hand.

I am not saying that this is a great play by me but I feel under my rationale, it isnt a horrible play either. I just would like some more opinions on this. Also, how do you feel about the situation if:
I have 87d?
I have a higher pair, at what pair does this become a good play?
I have two high cards, such as AK AQ KQs?
I feel I'm good enough to make top 30% on avg? 20%? 50%?
I raised preflop to 50? limped? Was the 100 raise bad? Did it have any particular good/bad aspects? What raise would have been best given my rationale towards the tournament?

Thanks for your input, this was an interesting scenario to me and I'd like to take away from it as much as possible.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:41 AM

Default Re: Interesting Situation First hand of MTT

you don't even need to go past your initial raise. HORRIBLE raise.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:44 AM

Well that may be but I'd like some reasons for that if you'd be so kind.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:59 AM

1) any time you raise more than a standard raise, you are building a pot that will be difficult to get away from as it will be for anyone who is calling your pfr. 10xbb pfr and lets say 1 caller. Now the pot is 21.5bb's and if 1 or 2 overs flop, you are forced to CB into a bloated pot for much of your stack.
2) When you raise this much, you are usually only getting called by better hands, so it is often that you are 80/20 against another player and your only shot at taking the pot down is to CB or hit your set.
3) You are in the 1st level. You should be playing tight as gnat's ass in the 1st 3 or 4 levels and then loosen up. This allows for all the moron's to get eliminated and much of the time your pfr will take it down in later rounds because people will not play as many speculative hands.

having a hard time typing this and playing 5 tables. I may try to finish later.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:07 AM

Thanks, I definitely dont have any reasons for my preflop raise, my normal play is to just limp and try to set up but for some reason I was on auto drive. Ignoring the raise now, how do you think my reasoning for the rest of the hand was?
Old 12-05-2006, 04:34 AM

Taking a -EV bet 'to get huge' early on is so very not worth it - you won't be able to use your big stack for anything particularly worthwhile (even if you're good with a big stack) until later anyway. Look at the EV of the move, then decide if it's correct or not. In this case, it's baaaaad.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have checked the odds of 8s vs various hands and I saw I was at worst like 15% to win the hand, just assuming noone is pushing with 8x or another 88 to completely wreck my chances. I'd say the avg % for me to win the hand is like 18,19,20%ish, assuming I never have the biggest pair in the hand. Is that a bad assumption? Also, I feel like at least MP2 and MP3 dont have me beat that often, depending on the player, I can see the call with any pair and any decent suited ace. Maybe I just underestimate their ranges, but I think that many people see the allin and just decide to try to double or triple up first hand(kinda like me).

[/ QUOTE ]

4 players in the hand, and you're just 15% to win it? Bad, bad, bad. Let's say that one player has an overpair (which seems likely), and the other 2 are donking with overcards. If they're not matching up with each other, you're in really bad shape here. I guess it's not too bad to have the go big or go bust attitude, but do it when you've got some pot equity.

I suck at MTTs, but even I think this is pretty horrible.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:42 AM

hands like these are why i enjoy playing on bodog
Old 12-05-2006, 04:44 AM

I make moves like this early in cheap donkaments all the time... except just against one person or two at the most.

Nothing really wrong with going big or going busto early in a tourney you (and your bankroll) don't really care about. Just pick your spots a little better I would think.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:26 AM

If you don't want to play this tourney because your time is more valuable then why not play a higher stakes tourney? If you're just too ADD to grind it out in a MTT then maybe you're more suited for another type of poker.

Having a monster stack at level 1 isn't much of an advantage, because everyone else is still super deep. It's certainly not a big enough advantage to make up for the clearly negative ev gamble that you make to try to get it.