Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 10:45 PM

Default Re: *Official* Philadelphia E-A-G-L-E-S Thread (2007-2008)

[ QUOTE ]
Offensive Line: B-
Running Back: B+
Wide Receiver: D-
Tight End: D

Defensive Line: B
Linebackers: C+
Secondary: C-

Kicker: B+
Punter: B-

QB: D+

Coaches: F-

How can we be 2-4?

[/ QUOTE ]

these are my non homer grades. lol at the receivers being a B-.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:05 PM

I am fighting the urge give up on the Eagles and the season. 2-4 frickin sucks, and with the NFC East all being good, we probably have to run the table to make the playoffs.

But I think the Eagles aren't as bad as we think they are. They should've won vs Green Bay. They should've won last week. We should be 4-2.

But since we did lose those games, let's face reality. We're gonna have to see what 100% McNabb looks like. He's not there yet. I think next year if he underperforms, we'll start seeing Kolb. I think our defense all around is a B, A- secondary when healthy. Kearse has been a non factor. We need tight ends. We need a #1 and #2 receiver. I was hoping we'd keep Stallworth for a while.

Next year is going to be interesting.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How can we be 2-4?

[/ QUOTE ]

McNabb is way overrated, hes the kinda qb who needs good wide receivers to make up for being a very inaccurate passer. In addition to that he throws the ball so hard, which results in alot of drops, especially for throws where he should take a little off. In the past he made up for these shortcomings by his ability to scramble and create on the run, but he's clearly not fully recovered from surgery. He's trying to be a prototypical passer this season, and thats just not what he is

[/ QUOTE ]

This post is wrong on a few levels. People forget that McNabb hasn't been a running quarterback for four years. I understand that his mobility has decreased, and that's definitely hurt his ability to evade the rush, but that's not stopping him for being a good quarterback. The problem is that he isn't stepping into his throws consistently like he used to. This has caused a higher numbers of his throws to be behind the receiver. I'm not saying McNabb was ever a very accurate quarterback, because, well, he never has been. He's always had the problem of throwing it into the ground.

Maybe he has lost it. Maybe he'll never be able to plant and step into his throws again. But right now I think that's been a product of the injury, so I think it would be wrong not to give McNabb another year to show what he can do.

Right now, I don't think there are a whole lot of wholes on this team. They need more big plays, they need better receivers (who can get off the press and get open), and they need better play from the quarterback position. They need to get a big play wide receiver in the off-season, and McNabb needs to get to 100%. If these things happen, they should be serious contenders next year. If not, then maybe it's time to blow this team up. (Not the O-line or the young core of the front seven.)
Old 10-22-2007, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Offensive Line: B-
Running Back: B+
Wide Receiver: D-
Tight End: D

Defensive Line: B
Linebackers: C+
Secondary: C-

Kicker: B+
Punter: B-

QB: D+

Coaches: F-

How can we be 2-4?

[/ QUOTE ]

these are my non homer grades. lol at the receivers being a B-.

[/ QUOTE ]
Really? Curtis is quick, has good hands, and is a pretty good route runner. Brown is nothing special, but can certainly be an adequate #2, don't you think? They are 14th in YPG and 19th in passing DVOA. The QB and WRs can't BOTH be Ds.

I'm also curious how you grade the individual players in the secondary considering your group rating.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This post is wrong on a few levels. People forget that McNabb hasn't been a running quarterback for four years. I understand that his mobility has decreased, and that's definitely hurt his ability to evade the rush, but that's not stopping him for being a good quarterback. The problem is that he isn't stepping into his throws consistently like he used to. This has caused a higher numbers of his throws to be behind the receiver. I'm not saying McNabb was ever a very accurate quarterback, because, well, he never has been. He's always had the problem of throwing it into the ground.

[/ QUOTE ]
The problem is that no mobility + no accuracy + poor clock/game management = can't do anything well. I am not sure in which of these we can expect a significant improvement going forward.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:35 PM

Curtis is a nice player but he's not an average #1 WR.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Curtis is a nice player but he's not an average #1 WR.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely Better Than:
Miami
Baltimore
Jacksonville
Tennessee
Oakland
Chicago
Minnesota
Atlanta
San Francisco

Arguably Better Than:
Buffallo
Pittsburgh
Kansas City
San Diego
Washington
New Orleans
Tampa Bay
Seattle

I also think I was pretty generous with these breakdowns considering his stats this year.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The problem is that no mobility + no accuracy + poor clock/game management = can't do anything well. I am not sure in which of these we can expect a significant improvement going forward.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm saying that the accuracy should see significant improvement. McNabb has missed a lot of throws this year that he usually makes (like the missed touchdown pass to Schobel yesterday). A lot of this can be attributed to mechanical errors due to the injury. With another off-season, this should go away. Maybe it doesn't, but I think we need another year to tell for sure.

Here's my problem with playing Kolb next year (at least early in the season). This team should still have enough talent next year to be contenders, but that completely hinges on the quarterback play. I highly, highly, highly, highly doubt Kolb has the ability to take us to the Super Bowl in his first year, even if he is the quarterback of the future. McNabb has shown that when he's close to 100%, he can take us deep in the playoffs. Maybe he doesn't reach that point again next year, but at least the team would have the upside of contending for a championship.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But I think the Eagles aren't as bad as we think they are. They should've won vs Green Bay. They should've won last week. We should be 4-2.

[/ QUOTE ]

The sad thing is there were definitely some positives to take out of the game from the Bear's until 2 minutes to go.

I felt that they had made some improvement in areas and at the same time were going to go ahead and win a game. My excitement would have been tempered by the fact that they beat the Bears.

But now there's not much to get excited about.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:35 PM

If Griese doesn't fumble a snap on 3rd & goal, Bears may have put game away much sooner. Bears receivers were open over the middle all day.

Maybe Eagles are NFL's version of this year's Rockies or Yankees and will make a mind-bending comeback...