Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 05:04 PM

Default Re: *Official* Philadelphia E-A-G-L-E-S Thread (2007-2008)

Agreed. We need some wideouts, and we need a good coach to develop them. We have a horrible track record of developing recievers under Andy Reid.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:20 PM

It's funny; McNabb's play this season has actually given me more faith in the Eagles coaching/management because it shows that they knew what they were doing (as they basically always have throughout Reid's tenure) when they drafted Kolb.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:24 PM

well, I guess i'm the only one remaining not pushing the panic button JUST yet. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

next week I think they might be able to beat the 'sota on the road. and then the Cowboys at home is a possibility.

and even though Donny's results have been subpar, I am not ready to hand the reigns over to Kevin Kolb just yet. he's still in his first season after the major surgery on his knee. he's still got some good years in Philadelphia left imo. and I will be sad to see him go if he goes at the end of this season. especially if he ends up in Chicago. I [censored] hate the Bears.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
well, I guess i'm the only one remaining not pushing the panic button JUST yet. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
That's the thing. I've been optimistic about our season throughout the poor start, and unlike some others here, still think our team is very talented and can be a playoff team this year and in the near future. But that's why I'm putting so much blame on McNabb. There are really very few weakpoints on our team, especially on offense, and when I try to pinpoint the reason we are losing, there's not much else to go to besides him. I mean, let's try to grade the units.

Offensive Line: A
Running Back: A+
Wide Receiver: B-
Tight End: D

Defensive Line: B
Linebackers: C+
Secondary: A-

Kicker: B+
Punter: B-

How can we be 2-4?
Old 10-22-2007, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How can we be 2-4?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello? You just lost at home to the Bears?
Old 10-22-2007, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So is it ready for the official let's lose games so we can get a weapon like DeSean Jackson to return kicks/punts/ and play wideout?

This has 7-9 season written all over it.

McNabb will be gone. Kolb will be in.

As far as youth there seems to be a lot of guys pushing for time in the future.

Obviously Westbrook will be around. So will Shawn Andrews, Jamaal Jackson, and Herremans. Throw in Jean-Gilles, Justice, Nick Cole, and the offensive line seems to at least have young players, though I'm not saying they will be good.

On the defensive side of the ball Mike Patterson, Bunkley, Ramsey, Abiarmi,Trent Cole, and Juqua Thomas are all young. Throw in young linebackers Chris Gocong, Omar Gaither, and Stewart Bradley and this is at least a start for the future. The defense hasn't played too bad.

They just need some freaking weapons.

[/ QUOTE ]

They have pretty good young talent, but McNabb and/or Reid absolutely must go at the end of this year. More than likely McNabb will get cut at the end of the year. Then the rebuilding will begin.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How can we be 2-4?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello? You just lost at home to the Bears?

[/ QUOTE ]
Wtf did you even read my post?
Old 10-22-2007, 07:06 PM

well, I don't claim to be making any novel observations here, but it just seems like the 4-man rush and even the blitzes haven't been getting to the quarterback nearly enough this year. i mean i would have figured Griese would have been sacked maybe 3-4 times at least that game.

as for your grades of the units, i think they're all pretty fair. although I'm a fan of David Akers, so I'd probably give him an A- [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

tight ends have been admittedly poor, but with LJ out, that's just to be expected. I think you might be underrating the linebackers slightly, although losing Trotter this season was tough.

Sav Rocca is tough to judge, imo. because sometimes he comes through with some boomers (relatively often, from what i've seen) but then he throws in an occasional shank that Dirk Johnson seemed to avoid. Dirk didn't have the leg that this guy has, but he was certainly more consistent.

as for why they're 2-4, it's just such a combination of bad luck, some bad play calling, a few bad breaks from the officials. like that hold by Herremans when Westbrook ran for the first down. i'm pretty sure i saw a replay a few times of it, and it didn't look like Herremans had any jersey. it just looked like he released his block and the guy hit the deck and a flag was thrown. that first down would have essentially won the game.

obviously it can't be all blamed on things like that, though. too many dropped passes continue to plague this team. that one ball to Thomas Tapeh had at least 10 yards. Brown's drop in the endzone, although he was covered pretty tightly, but an NFL receiver still makes that catch. there was a tough drop by Celek at some point (although i think Celek can be a good player for this offense.) the only guys i don't worry about are Curtis and (oddly enough) Hank Baskett.

but you can really point to so many things. red zone play-calling and execution has been pretty abysmal at times imo. like note PokerFink's post a few posts back about how they don't run it enough in the redzone situations. whether it be Buck or B-Dub, they were running all over the Bears in the early going. and it seemed like they just abandoned that in the redzone.

i don't know. everybody I'm sure will disagree with most of this and just call for Reid's job. and Donovan's, too. but I really think this team can still make the playoffs. the NFC East is going to get both WC spots again. and i look at the remainder of this schedule and I do see 7 games that they can/should win. and i think 9-7 gets it done in the NFC.

of course this is all based on them winning next week at the 'sota. and holding serve at home vs. the Cowgirls. a tough parlay, but not impossible. so let's just hope LJ and Dawkins get healthy as soon as possible.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
well, I don't claim to be making any novel observations here, but it just seems like the 4-man rush and even the blitzes haven't been getting to the quarterback nearly enough this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

No doubt. It's bad - I'm worried every time we blitz now.

The problem is that some of our players - and I'm talking blitzers, mainly defensive backs, not the lineman - just have no clue how to rush the quarterback. Their timing and angles are awful. I've seen a lot of delayed blitzes from defensive backs that are so late it's useless. You can't blitz from ten yards behind the LOS - you'll never get there.

The loss of Dawkins really hurts in this regard. Not only is he an outstanding pass rusher, but he's so good in deep coverage that he can help clean up the mess when other people fail their blitzes. I like Mikell a lot, but he can't rush the passer and he isn't as good as Dawk in deep coverage. Considine is useless as a pass rusher. I'd like to see Considine benched when Dawk comes back in favor of Mikell.

The other problem is wrapping up the quarterback when the blitzes succeed. I don't know if it's coaching or personnel or what, but it's a problem we've always had.

[ QUOTE ]
everybody I'm sure will disagree with most of this and just call for Reid's job.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really hope not. Reid has built a helluva team. We've been competitive pretty much every year for seven years running. Almost any replacement coach will be a significant downgrade from Reid.

As for Donovan, he's still going to be better than Kolb this year and next. Hopefully he will continue to get healthier this year and for 2008, but I think by 2009 the reins will be turned over to Kolb.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
That's the thing. I've been optimistic about our season throughout the poor start, and unlike some others here, still think our team is very talented and can be a playoff team this year and in the near future. But that's why I'm putting so much blame on McNabb. There are really very few weakpoints on our team, especially on offense, and when I try to pinpoint the reason we are losing, there's not much else to go to besides him. I mean, let's try to grade the units.

Offensive Line: A
Running Back: A+
Wide Receiver: B-
Tight End: D

Defensive Line: B
Linebackers: C+
Secondary: A-

Kicker: B+
Punter: B-

How can we be 2-4?

[/ QUOTE ]

If the offensive line gets an "A"; then how did the Giants have 12 sacks? And I'm sorry, considering they are 12th in the league in rushing, the running game does not get an "A+".

Maybe the Eagles simply aren't as good as you think?