Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2007, 05:14 PM

Default Re: Lucky You movie review (spoilers)

[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone seen this movie:

No Limit: A Search for the American Dream on the Poker Tournament Trail

[/ QUOTE ]

I have. It sucks. The chick is only mildly good, there's almost no tourney action actually filmed, and it's all Omaha 8 and Stud 8 tourneys. I was happy about that, but she doesn't bother explaining anything, nor that she's not playing NLHE. Then you get a bunch of interspersed clips of the various pros saying the same old [censored]. (Anyone can win, etc.) Oh yeah, and family drama. Will she make enough to keep them afloat? Yawn. A husband who doesn't understand poker AT ALL. Yawn. Culminates in her playing in an O8 event at the 03 WSOP and not being able to film anywhere near the site because of ESPN, even though they had no intention of filming it either.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:15 PM

Highlight of that movie: Homegirl berates Amir Vahedi for his O8 hand selection.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:42 AM

I thought the film was ok. I was a little dissappointed that he folded the AA to let his dad win the hand, but, if he didnt, what are they going to do? Have Huck win the tournie? Wouldnt that just be predictable and, as a result, boring?
Anyway, a side note, the film is set during the 2003 WSOP main event. The 2003 main event was on ESPN classic yesterday and I watched the final table for like the 10th time. The director of Lucky You, Curtis Hanson, is visible in many of the shots, sitting in the front row behind one of the players. I never noticed that before.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
DD,

sounds like you need to make a date with blockbuster. And how have you not watched an episode of M.A.S.H.?? (I didn't know he was in MASH...)

[/ QUOTE ]

He was in the movie directed by Robert Altman which started the TV show, he wasn't in the TV show.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Kids. What are you going to do with em?
Old 05-08-2007, 11:27 AM

rounders wasn't a huge box office success. it grossed a little over $20 million. that's about $100 million less than patch adams did inthe same year. and patch adams was considered a flop.

but rounders was a much better movie in every way. the main character was likeable and believable. the relationships between the characters was also believable. and the movie spent more time on building the tension between the characters than on watching 8-16 hands.

there is nothing good i can say about lucky you. it was miserable. it was embarassing. it highlighted the more boring aspects of poker instead of the excitement, it didn't have one likeable character, and it made a hero out of a smug cheater that most of us would probably avoid at all costs IRL.

i expected more from the man who made l.a. confidential. but i suppose that's my own fault. i chose to ignore the scads of terrible reviews this move has received. right now i think it's at 25% on rotten tomatoes.

save your money.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:34 PM

I didn't see Lucky You....and after reading this review I'm thankful I didn't. I stood in line with all the worlds donkeys and watched Spiderman 3 which was quite cool. And took a picture in the lobby with a infinitely cool lifesize couch featuring Marge, Homer, Bart, Lisa, and Maggie [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Anyway, if you want to watch a good poker movie, of course Rounders. Cincinati Kid is also good as well though it requires some ability to temporarily suspend belief in reality.

Also very good, though not entirely poker accurate, is a television show that ran on FX a few years ago called "Lucky". It's real hard to find as there is no actual DVD release. I have found the entire season(there was only one) from a guy that transfered his VHS tapes to DVD. Predictably the quality is horrible, but the cost was negligable(like $11 or something). Anyway, the story line follows a poker pro main event world series poker winner(John Corbet) whose wife commits suicide right after he wins the main event. The show is real toungue in cheek and pretty funny in some parts and really sad in others. There are a lot of interesting/goofballish characters, some interesting story lines with the main character even attending GA meetings even though he clearly is not a degenerate addict, the main character making efforts at a regular day job to get away from gambling, and the main character falling in love with a woman who is a total degenerate gambler. Also of note is the backdrop used in the show, and the filming locations on Fremont St. downtown. It's a pretty amazing story and kinda seems like it is exactly what "Lucky You" was supposed to be.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:11 PM

i might so see it now.

I thought, from seeing the trailers, it would be a chick flick that just happens to be set in a poker lifestyle, but it sounds pretty awesome.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:55 PM

GOAT. Gayest of all time.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i might so see it now.

I thought, from seeing the trailers, it would be a chick flick that just happens to be set in a poker lifestyle, but it sounds pretty awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

its funny when people are like, oh its about a degen, sounds kinda cool. its not. its insanely boring.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:50 PM

yeah he doesn't make the life of a degen cool IE WORM from rounders. I mean i would have liked this movie 10000 times more if edward norton was the star. the characters are unlikable as said before. and a side note. did anyone else notice in that 1/2 limit game at the begining against the big black guy that the black guy bet 16 dollars into probably at least a 20 buck, just a guess on the pot size but im going to assume that there was action before hand. And the main character made a mini raise to 32, i mean how could any live 1/2 player fold to that kind of raise, just didnt seem logical to me. And another hand that didnt make sense is when the main guy had a flush draw and drew barrymore said oh you need one more heart for a flush and eveyrone at the table to heard her folded. I mean they KNEW he was on a flush draw why wouldn't anyone bet to try and get him off of it. lawlz