Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2007, 06:27 PM

Default Re: So I\'m going to Prison for 2 years

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I never understood the vehement anti drunk driving rants, people acting like it's one of the more horrible acts a person can commit

Of course it is reckless and irresponsibile, but to get worked up to the point where you wish someone excessive jail time, to feel the anger and disgust you feel towards those who rape and kill just seems bizarre to me. Unless, of course, you lost someone to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is that is a very easily avoided crime. Don't [censored] drive while drunk, its not hard. It's not a crime of passion, or being in the wrong spot at the wrong time. Its a crime of putting everyone else's life in danger so you don't have to call a cab or spend the night in a hotel. The fact that drunk driving is so easily preventable and that it can cause so much damage is what bothers ppl the most

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I never understood the vehement anti drunk driving rants, people acting like it's one of the more horrible acts a person can commit

Of course it is reckless and irresponsibile, but to get worked up to the point where you wish someone excessive jail time, to feel the anger and disgust you feel towards those who rape and kill just seems bizarre to me. Unless, of course, you lost someone to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is that is a very easily avoided crime. Don't [censored] drive while drunk, its not hard. It's not a crime of passion, or being in the wrong spot at the wrong time. Its a crime of putting everyone else's life in danger so you don't have to call a cab or spend the night in a hotel. The fact that drunk driving is so easily preventable and that it can cause so much damage is what bothers ppl the most

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said.

[/ QUOTE ]

It isn't easily avoided when I've been drinking for 6+ hours and I'm hungry. There's no decision. I'm driving.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said.

[/ QUOTE ]

It isn't easily avoided when I've been drinking for 6+ hours and I'm hungry. There's no decision. I'm driving.

[/ QUOTE ]

*** You are ignoring this user ***
Old 11-24-2007, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
*** You are ignoring this user ***

[/ QUOTE ]

damn, that's all it took for you to ignore him? Some people are quick on that trigger. I've yet to ignore anyone on 2p2
Old 11-24-2007, 06:39 PM

apparently I was wrong on what I heard about how much it takes to get you to .08

Here's a blood-alcohol calculator I found:

http://dryspace.org/bac-calculator.htm

But it's kind of weird.
It says I can have 4 drinks in 1 hour and I'm still legal.
But if I have 5 drinks in 2 hours then I'm over 0.8.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
apparently I was wrong on what I heard about how much it takes to get you to .08

But it's kind of weird.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason for that is, that alcohol takes a while to get absorbed by the human body. As a rule of thumb, you reach the climax of your intoxication ~1 hour after you took your last drink, and then the alcohol level slowly starts declining.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

But it's kind of weird.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF and this one just goes up to 12. Where can I find a calculator that will go up to a case?
Old 11-26-2007, 08:34 PM

I hope you learn something while you are there. 3 DUIS, some of them aggravated (you shouldn't have been driving, even sober), definitely deserve this sentence, if just to have you off the roads.

What's the difference between a drunk driver who swerves around the road, and is occasionally in the wrong lane, who makes it home and falls asleep and the drunk driver who swerves around the road, and is occasionally in the wrong lane, who head-on's a family on the way home from visiting their grandparents?

Just luck.

Therefore I don't think whether an accident even occurred should be relevant - it's like blindfolding yourself, twirling around, and firing a bullet in a mostly empty city street. Most of the time you'll miss, but occasionally you'll hit someone. Do you punish the guy who, purely out of luck, hit someone and let the guy who didn't out with a slap on the wrist?

I say you deserve your 2.5 years, not because penalties like this scare others into not DUI-ing, but because you being off the road is safer for the rest of us.

Do what you want with your friends and other consensual people, but don't play Russian roulette with uninvolved parties by stepping behind the wheel of a vehical you can't properly control.

edit: And yeah, I'm not giving you the benefit of the doubt that you were somehow still a competent driver while drunk.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hope you learn something while you are there. 3 DUIS, some of them aggravated (you shouldn't have been driving, even sober), definitely deserve this sentence, if just to have you off the roads.

What's the difference between a drunk driver who swerves around the road, and is occasionally in the wrong lane, who makes it home and falls asleep and the drunk driver who swerves around the road, and is occasionally in the wrong lane, who head-on's a family on the way home from visiting their grandparents?

Just luck.

Therefore I don't think whether an accident even occurred should be relevant - it's like blindfolding yourself, twirling around, and firing a bullet in a mostly empty city street. Most of the time you'll miss, but occasionally you'll hit someone. Do you punish the guy who, purely out of luck, hit someone and let the guy who didn't out with a slap on the wrist?

I say you deserve your 2.5 years, not because penalties like this scare others into not DUI-ing, but because you being off the road is safer for the rest of us.

Do what you want with your friends and other consensual people, but don't play Russian roulette with uninvolved parties by stepping behind the wheel of a vehical you can't properly control.

edit: And yeah, I'm not giving you the benefit of the doubt that you were somehow still a competent driver while drunk.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFMFT. The arguments against this guy being locked up are simply mind-boggling.

It's OBVIOUS this guy simply will not/has not changed, and I'm pretty sure after the second time getting caught (cuz let's face it, I'm sure we're all aware you didn't JUST do this 3 times and get caught every time), you were made aware of the possible consequences and you still didn't give a [censored].

How else is society going to keep the rest of the public safe when people like you are indifferent to the laws made to protect people???
Old 11-27-2007, 04:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Just luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference is the other person hit a family. Pretty big difference IMO.

What's the difference between someone who runs a stop sign and gets pulled over and someone who runs a stop sign and hits a car full of kids and kills them all? Do you punish the guy who, purely out of luck, hit someone and let the guy who didn't out with a slap on the wrist?

(This post is irrelevant to OPs situation.)

This thread would have been a lot cooler if we actually could get more insight about anxieties before going to prison, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.