Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2007, 06:31 PM

Default Re: Man Arrested for Refusing to Show Drivers License

[ QUOTE ]

As for the actual case, refusing to show your receipt leaving the store is pretty petty and childish, and is in no way a stance for larger civil rights. Its just a way of being a dick.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way. They don't do this receipt checking [censored] in Northern Ireland and if they started I'd never stop and let them check. Who the [censored] would be bothered with that [censored]? I'm not wasting any time when it's within my rights to just walk out.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Seriously, if they ask to check your receipt on the way out of the store, especially in a business with TONS of loss potential, show them and go on with your day. If you get this wound up over something so small, I'd have to wonder how some of you deal with other things in life.

[/ QUOTE ]

No freaking way. The line at best buy for bag checks is always 5-6 people deep. Just simply say "No thank you" and be on your way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never seen anything like this at Best Buy or anywhere. I am definitely not waiting in line for this, but I am not gonna cause a scene if it takes 5 seconds.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

As for the actual case, refusing to show your receipt leaving the store is pretty petty and childish, and is in no way a stance for larger civil rights. Its just a way of being a dick.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way. They don't do this receipt checking [censored] in Northern Ireland and if they started I'd never stop and let them check. Who the [censored] would be bothered with that [censored]? I'm not wasting any time when it's within my rights to just walk out.

[/ QUOTE ]

They do this in Canada at Costco and at Best Buy. I haven't seen any other chains that do this.

However, it sounds like it is a fairly common practice at most stores in the US. Someone mentioned them doing this at Wal-Mart, which I've never seen at a Wal-Mart in Canada.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:04 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A point re: the receipt checkers:

I think they're there to prevent employee-aided theft. You take a bunch of stuff to the register, only pay for a couple of things, but get the electronic things turned off on all your items. Used to pull this trick when I worked in a record store in high school. I think this area causes huge losses for stores. So THAT'S what the receipt-checkers are for.

[/ QUOTE ]

Best point yet. I have to think about this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

It definitely helps explain why stores do receipt-checks -- especially when it comes to stores where it is impossible to approach the front door with merchandise without having to walk through the cashier area first.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

For what it's worth I've never seen receipt-checking in my neck of the woods (upstate NY) so I guess any of you particularly bothered by this can just move up here.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:23 PM

pretty funny stuff. i can't wait to stand up for my rights sometime when a cop asks me to search my car.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The mean contribution of this guys actions to his little sisters birthday is disgusting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, you must really care about birthdays.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:12 PM

This guy was a douche but did nothing wrong, I bet he sue's them and wins $$$
Old 09-07-2007, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
pretty funny stuff. i can't wait to stand up for my rights sometime when a cop asks me to search my car.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was in high school, I got pulled over for having a cracked breaklight (white was showing). He asked if he could search the car, and I told him no. I wasn't doing it to take a stand or just to exercise my rights. I actually had pot in the car. And, in the end, he never searched the car.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The guy called the police because he felt he was being detained. The store 'perhaps' thought he was a shoplifter. He was not randomly approached by a police officer and asked for id. According to the statute buried in one of the blog entries, it sounds like you are required to identify yourself if you are the perp OR the witness (but it sounds like it would have to be a felony....I have no idea what level shoplifting or detainment would be).

Doesn't this make a difference?

[/ QUOTE ]
He called the police not as a perp or a witness, but as a victim (whether you agree with he was a victim or not that point). So he got arrested for failing to provide identification as a victim? Hrm...
Old 09-07-2007, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The question was, is it worth it to you to bear the additional shoplifting costs to protect these personal freedoms?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, because if stores were no longer permitted/inclined to do receipt-checks at the front door, they would have to find other ways to protect themselves against shoplifters. Checking receipts at the door is *not* the only way to protect against shoplifters.

Besides, if stores were unable to protect themselves sufficiently against shoplifters and had to raise their prices, they'd lose business to stores who were more effective at protecting themselves against shoplifters and could offer lower prices as a result.

[/ QUOTE ]
What are these other security measures that stores should use? Asking for a receipt is just about the least obtrusive measure a store can take. If you think security is "accosting" customers by asking for receipts, what is your solution to dealing with shoplifters? I don't think asking for a receipt solves everything by any means, but if you are against this, then I would imagine you are against other security measures. What would be acceptable forms of security? Don't businesses have the right to protect their property?