Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory

Old 11-26-2007, 04:42 PM

Default Raising same range of hands in all positions

I posted this in another forum but didn't get much respone so I thought I'd try here...

Most poker books recommend having a very tight opening range in early position and gradually opening that up to a wide range in late position. Recently I've been experimenting with raising the same range of hands in all positions, but varying the raise size -- 2x early, 3x mid and 4x late. My main motivation in doing this was to just do something a little different so it throws people off a bit. So far it seems to work pretty well (in cash games), but I wanted to see if anyone had an opinion as to whether this is a bad idea or not.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:19 PM

Default Re: Raising same range of hands in all positions

What hand range are you opening exactly? Opening different amounts is standard. I would advise opening at least 2.5 though. Opening stuff like K9 utg is usually asking for trouble though.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:25 PM

I was using AA-55, AK,AQ,AJ , all suited broadways, suited connectors down to 54 and suited one-gappers down to T8.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:47 PM

I would either raise the same from every position or raise a different every single time. The whole idea is just to make it so people can not figure out what you have. As far as what to raise in what position it depends on the table. If your table is loose you might want to tighten up and if it is tight you might want to loosen up.

Also when choosing what hands to play it depends on whom you are playing against. If you are playing against people who are not that good or paying attention you dont really need to do anything besides play abc poker to win. But when you play against other people who are actually good you'll need to raise with hands other than the nuts such as suited connecters up front just so they wont know what you have when you raise from a certain position.

The whole idea is just to make people guess. Obviously when they are guessing youre going to do better.