Thursday 6 5.41%
Friday 8 7.21%
Saturday 16 14.41%
Sunday 22 19.82%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-08-2007, 07:46 PM

Default Northern Lights Poker (c)

Hello Everyone:

I have created a NEW POKER GAME that I'm sure no one has played before. It has been copyrighted and named "Northern Lights Poker(c)."

I'd like to get everyone's comments on this game (which is based on standard Texas Hold-Em) and encourage people to play wherever possible. Here are the basics:

Like Hold-em, there is a flop, river, and turn. However, instead of receiving two cards to start, each person gets 5. After the deal, each player reviews their cards and bets as normal. BEFORE THE FLOP, each player must discard one card. The flop occurs and another round of betting takes place. BEFORE THE RIVER, another card must be discarded by each player. The river is turned over and another round of betting occurs. BEFORE THE TURN, each player discards a third card (leaving them with two). The turn is revealed and the final round of betting occurs. The winner of the hand is the same as traditional hold-em.

This games involves some luck, strategy, guts, and concentration. Please give it a try and let me know your thoughts!

Send me a message if you'd like to use this game for a major tournament or would like more information.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:43 PM

Default Re: Northern Lights Poker (c)

Umm... oops...

The turn is obviously before the river

I'm sitting in an MBA class trying to listen and post at the same time... kinda hard to focus on both
Old 10-08-2007, 08:44 PM

I heard of this game under different names.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:51 PM

You would think business schools would have learned that they should teach the difference between copyright and patent by now.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:05 PM

At the University of Kansas, four years ago, I invented a variation of Hold'em and Omaha. It is a five-card game in which a card is discarded before the flop, turn and river. Basically, a player is left with (2) cards before the river card is dealt. I appropriately named it 'Jayhawk'.

Therefore, I have played the game. Also, the dynamics are very intriguing. However, I did not purchase the rights, because I am lazy. Hopefully, 'Jayhawk' is not popularized , or I will require heavy medication for the remainder of my life.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You would think business schools would have learned that they should teach the difference between copyright and patent by now.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:49 PM

I've played this game, with the exception that each player has to play two from his hand and three from the board. Plays well as both straight high and hi-lo.

Edit: I saw some guys playing the four-card version of this game with two flops in Vegas last summer. They were playing it fixed-limit and having a blast.