Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2007, 05:36 AM

Default What goes with liquor?

I am opening up a liquor store. The space I'm eying is 1500+ sq ft, which I believe is much too big for a liquor store. I think it would be foolish to use up store space for inventory.

So...what should I do? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

1. Subleasing the store, and dividing it into 2 or 3. how do you guys feel about subleasing? is it difficult to do this by yourself/efficient?

2. Sell more things...but what really GOES with liquor?
Some thoughts I have are...
-glassware/drinking supplies
-cigarettes
-t-shirts

what do you guys WISH was in a liquor store...other than liquor, when you go there? or what do you buy other than liquor that makes you want liquor...?

Im sure this sounds like somewhat of a crazy plan, any help is appreciated [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-14-2007, 06:55 AM

Default Re: What goes with liquor?

wine
Old 03-14-2007, 07:05 AM

Snacks, cigarrettes, cigars. That's about it.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am opening up a liquor store. The space I'm eying is 1500+ sq ft, which I believe is much too big for a liquor store. I think it would be foolish to use up store space for inventory.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't want to rent space that you can't use. If you do, you're putting yourself at a big competitive disadvantage. Don't do it - find a space that is more suited for your needs. Some landlords will divide large spaces, although, 1500 sq. ft. really isn't very much to divide. I probably wouldn't divide 1500 if I were a landlord.

[ QUOTE ]

1. Subleasing the store, and dividing it into 2 or 3. how do you guys feel about subleasing? is it difficult to do this by yourself/efficient?

[/ QUOTE ]

Commercial rental property exists in a market that is totally different than the residential RE market. Subleasing commercial property is going to be difficult if not impossible. It will be expensive to get it rented, and your legal fees are probably going to be very high. Plus, the landlord might not go along with the idea.

[ QUOTE ]

2. Sell more things...but what really GOES with liquor?
Some thoughts I have are...
-glassware/drinking supplies
-cigarettes
-t-shirts

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, if you're in love with the space, this is your best bet. Maybe what you could do is go around to 50 liquor stores in your area and see what other people are doing.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:24 AM

1500 sq ft is about the size of the liquor stores around me.
They have:
Liquor
Wine
Beer
Mixers
Gift Bags
Gift Sets
Candy
Chips
Lottery
Soda/Pop/Red Bull
Supplies - cork screws, tooth picks, etc.

When you include beer coolers, back office, storage/trash room, counter/register, shelves & displays the space fills up quickly.

I don't know of any stores around me that just sell liquor anymore. They have all added beer, wine, etc. and turned into one-stop alcohol shops.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:32 AM

on your lease (presuming you didn't buy the space) it will have strict guidelines to what you can and cannot sell and also even stricter rules about subletting.

for more clarification: are you in a strip mall?
Old 03-14-2007, 11:47 AM

thanks for replies everyone.

TO BANDITGBERG: My location is a strip mall

TO WARBUS: "When you include beer coolers, back office, storage/trash room, counter/register, shelves & displays the space fills up quickly."

I dont think I will need/want a back office... and I dont think its optimal to use such expensive space for STORAGE. I have very little experiece though, so this might be standard for all I know.

TO Spex x:
I completely agree it's a bad idea to leasing more space than I believe I need, but I am "in love" with the location.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

TO WARBUS: "When you include beer coolers, back office, storage/trash room, counter/register, shelves & displays the space fills up quickly."

I dont think I will need/want a back office... and I dont think its optimal to use such expensive space for STORAGE. I have very little experiece though, so this might be standard for all I know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Back office: It does not need to be big. Just someplace to deal with cash, invoices, ordering, etc. There is a lot of stuff that needs to be done that shouldn't be in front of customers/employees.

Storage: A back room is helpful for:
deliveries- you don't want your aisles filled and you may not be able to unload an order right away.
excess inventory- especially important when overstocked during holiadys. There should be several holidays where you will double or triple order. Boxes of product stacked in various places looks bad.
putting together displays
excess boxes- everything gets delivered in a box which needs to be broken down and taken to the dumpster
cleaning supplies
excess shelving
random stuff that just seems to accumulate

A back room takes away from the sales floor but indirectly helps the store. It makes sure the rest of the store looks as professional as possible.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:53 PM

Bags of ice, limes & lemons, soft drinks for mixing, snacks, and a good beer selection.

ScottieK
Old 03-14-2007, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thanks for replies everyone.

TO BANDITGBERG: My location is a strip mall

[/ QUOTE ]

i am %99.9 positive you won't be able to sublease and/or sublet part of your space. read your lease then approach your prop. managment company. this space may be easily leased to another store so tread carefully