Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 12-01-2007, 11:40 AM

Default Re: Who is the worst GM is pro sports history?

[ QUOTE ]
Isiah's good drafts don't really make up for the other horrible mistakes. He drafted good players, but with no sense of trying to build a team, which is the same way he trades to get famous people no matter where they fit.

I can't think of anybody who has been worse in my lifetime.

I have no idea how you measure this, but I feel like at least 60% of GM's lifetime would be listed "bad"

[/ QUOTE ]

49 Shandon Anderson
51 Michael Doleac
4 Howard Eisley
32 Othella Harrington
20 Allan Houston
6 Maciej Lampe
34 Antonio McDyess
55 Dikembe Mutombo
50 Mike Sweetney
40 Kurt Thomas
2 Keith Van Horn
29 Slavko Vranes
21 Charlie Ward
35 Clarence Weatherspoon
30 Frank Williams

Can you tell me that the 03-04 Knicks were better than the current team? I hope he gets fired, but he isn't the worst GM in the history of sports.

I'd much rather have the team that they have now than the team he came into.

I guess I'm more from the school of thinking that the person who creates the mess that you can't get out of is worse than the person who can't get out of the mess he inherited.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:17 PM

Here's a pair of modern beauties:

The Royals' Herk Robinson and Allard Baird
Old 12-01-2007, 12:27 PM

Milbury easily. As an Islanders fan it makes me cringe just thinking about all the stupidity that has occured over the years.

Snow is doing a bit better, but i still don't like the 15 Year Dipietro deal. It looks like DP will be a top 10 goalie for the long haul, but even still the deal makes no sense unless Goalie salaries escalate to insanity and DP is still real good in the last 7 years.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Isiah's good drafts don't really make up for the other horrible mistakes. He drafted good players, but with no sense of trying to build a team, which is the same way he trades to get famous people no matter where they fit.

I can't think of anybody who has been worse in my lifetime.

I have no idea how you measure this, but I feel like at least 60% of GM's lifetime would be listed "bad"

[/ QUOTE ]

49 Shandon Anderson
51 Michael Doleac
4 Howard Eisley
32 Othella Harrington
20 Allan Houston
6 Maciej Lampe
34 Antonio McDyess
55 Dikembe Mutombo
50 Mike Sweetney
40 Kurt Thomas
2 Keith Van Horn
29 Slavko Vranes
21 Charlie Ward
35 Clarence Weatherspoon
30 Frank Williams

Can you tell me that the 03-04 Knicks were better than the current team? I hope he gets fired, but he isn't the worst GM in the history of sports.

I'd much rather have the team that they have now than the team he came into.

I guess I'm more from the school of thinking that the person who creates the mess that you can't get out of is worse than the person who can't get out of the mess he inherited.

[/ QUOTE ]

the problem is that now the knicks are [censored] until 2011 at least.

however, the problem with the knicks starts with ownership and isn't all on isiah - were he directed to rebuild, i think he could do a decent job of it.

it's not isiah. the knicks would be terrible today with or without him. the islanders could be competing for stanley cups if not for milbury's incompetence.

4 high, that 15 year deal is great. Dipietro is already underpaid relative to other goalies - it will only get better and better.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

50% of trades would be good and 50% would be bad, but in terms of the GM's themselves, it's probably more than 60% that are "bad". Way more. lol.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:07 PM

Keenan was pretty terrible as a GM for the Blues in the mid-90's. As coach and GM, he went way overboard trying to acquire "the right" players. Here are some snippets from an article I found online:

"Surprisingly, on his KMOX call-in show, Keenan admitted he made a mistake in giving up as much as he did for Khmylev. When a caller asked why he gave up so much, his response was brutally honest: "Sometimes when your an hour away from the deadline and you're looking to improve the hockey club, you're at the other general manager's mercy."

"But, in the less than two years that Keenan has been in control, only Brett Hull, Al MacInnis, Basil McRae, and Murray Baron have survived the trading block."

"Since July 1995, Keenan has made 20 deals involving 28 players and draft picks, by far more than any other team in the NHL."

I'll admit I scoffed at his Shanahan-for-Pronger deal at the time, but looking back on it, it was a good deal, as Pronger was less replaceable and younger than Shanahan.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

50% of trades would be good and 50% would be bad,

[/ QUOTE ]

uhhhhh no
Old 12-01-2007, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Keenan was pretty terrible as a GM for the Blues in the mid-90's. As coach and GM, he went way overboard trying to acquire "the right" players. Here are some snippets from an article I found online:

"Surprisingly, on his KMOX call-in show, Keenan admitted he made a mistake in giving up as much as he did for Khmylev. When a caller asked why he gave up so much, his response was brutally honest: "Sometimes when your an hour away from the deadline and you're looking to improve the hockey club, you're at the other general manager's mercy."

"But, in the less than two years that Keenan has been in control, only Brett Hull, Al MacInnis, Basil McRae, and Murray Baron have survived the trading block."

"Since July 1995, Keenan has made 20 deals involving 28 players and draft picks, by far more than any other team in the NHL."

I'll admit I scoffed at his Shanahan-for-Pronger deal at the time, but looking back on it, it was a good deal, as Pronger was less replaceable and younger than Shanahan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keenan didn't sink the Blues' franchise. While he traded a lot for Khymlev, say, (and Khmylev was terrible and one of the picks turned into Maxim Afinogenov), the Shanahan for Pronger deal was a steal for the Blues, they swiped Wayne Gretzky for nothing and got Pierre Turgeon for Shayne Corson and Murray Baron.

they also traded Curtis Joseph for 2 1st round picks and regretted that deal
Old 12-01-2007, 02:24 PM

How about whoever was running the Cavs back in the 80s when they traded all of their 1st round draft picks for crappy players, and the league had to give them some high picks back because nobody wanted to buy the team.

[ QUOTE ]
Stepien, who was an all-city basketball and football player at Schenley High School in Pittsburgh, infamously made multiple questionable transactions with his teams, such as trading away several future high draft picks for mediocre players. One of the picks whom Stepien traded away turned out to be the No. 1 overall pick in the 1982 NBA Draft, James Worthy, a future Hall of Famer for the Los Angeles Lakers.

In fact, all of these questionable moves led the NBA to institute what is commonly known as the "Stepien Rule," which states that a team cannot trade its first-round pick in consecutive years.

In a December 6, 1982, New York Times article by Ira Berkow, Musselman explained that Stepien "wanted a playoff team right away, and that's what he kept talking about." In the same article, Stepien is quoted as saying: "We made mistakes. And, I take the responsibility."

During his ownership, attendance at Cavaliers games began to sharply fall due to the team's poor play and questionable moves. Stepien had made some comments about moving the team, with Toronto being a rumored destination, but ultimately Stepien decided to sell the team to Cleveland businessmen George and Gordon Gund prior to the 1983-1984 season for $20 million. During his tenure as Cavaliers owner, the Cavaliers went 66-180, had five different coaches and had losses of $15 million

[/ QUOTE ]

OK he was the owner but I guess he was the one making the decisions.
wiki
Old 12-01-2007, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Isaiah has a very impressive draft history.

[/ QUOTE ]

refresh my memory.... (not being sarcastic)