Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-15-2007, 03:17 AM

Default Young guy, looking for advice on where to go next.

Hey guys,

Ok so I will give some background. I just turned 19, and am looking for where I should go with a degree to best supply me in the future. I play 2/4nl+ right now, and am getting better and making decent money. Let's assume I will make 6figs every year from poker(This is a very low estimate, I make like 40k in bonuses because I play a lot). Let's also assume I have 6 figures in cash/stocks. I don't invest much right now because I am lost in the stock market and am (probably incorrectly) trying to just learn some stuff first.

So knowing these things, what should I try to lean towards for my 4 year degree in college?

Some more notes:

*I am at a crappy college. It is called Morehead State University, it is in Kentucky. It is mainly known for education and music.
*I am on a full ride, so I have no expenses for the next 4 years, meaning I can save a looott of money by graduation.
*I would like to trade on the markets, and realize it takes a long time to learn this, but I want to put in the time to learn.
*I am currently in the Finance program. I have taken a couple Finance classes and a Business Mngt class. Next semester I will have more finance and some economics classes.
*I would eventually like to diversify my investments into parts of a business or real estate as well.

So where do I go now? What should I do for the time being? How can I learn more about the markets? I assume to be a successful trader I would have to basically finish all 4 years of college to get enough knowledge on the specific subject, if not more, so I should probably start learning more about them on my own. Is my degree what I want? I'm not sure if I want to play poker my whole life, but I want to be something with no boss and flexible hours, so I assume if I can save a lot of capital then playing poker sporadically + passive income from investments + maybe more income from real estate + income from day trading = good to go?

Thanks! Hopefully I can get some good advice!