Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2007, 10:27 AM

Default Re: I want to buy a suit

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When I bought my first suit I was planning on getting something pinstriped or colored, but got some advice from a salesperson at a really nice store that you should ALWAYS buy a black suit first as that is appropriate for all events and a staple in your wardrobe. Mine ran $500

[/ QUOTE ]

Back in school we were told not to wear black suits to job interviews. YMMV.

[/ QUOTE ]

What was your field of study?

[/ QUOTE ]

IT. Granted they were probably more worried about the students showing up in suites and sneakers but the guy giving the class had done HR work for some pretty good sized companies.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

???? They gave you bad advice. A good black suit with a nice tie always looks classy. Navy on the other hand screams out of fashion.

Edit: A plain black and only black suit I could see being a no-no, but something with stripes that has a little color or is more off black is fine. I recommend a darker gray but not just plain black. For example I wear a black but not really dark black with that has subtle green and purple pinstripes. Looks great with a white shirt and light colored tie. Not funeralish at all.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When I bought my first suit I was planning on getting something pinstriped or colored, but got some advice from a salesperson at a really nice store that you should ALWAYS buy a black suit first as that is appropriate for all events and a staple in your wardrobe. Mine ran $500

[/ QUOTE ]

that may be different for girls. for guys a charcoal solid, navy, and pinstriped versions of those are all more "staple" than black.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:31 AM

the OP in this thread has tons of useful tips, but is geared more towards "The Uniform", classic buisness style. Meaning, the best way to not screw up ANY position. You'd be surprised how some seriously some people take an Interview suit.

If you're just going to get one suit, i'd recommend Charcoal Black. It's pimp, it works fine for an interview as much as a night out on the town, and it's different than the standard navy or black. Also, make sure it's not too high of a thread count, and NOT double breasted. You're not out to look like the Teflon Don. Keep it either two button or three button and around super 100's-130's (this is the thread count. Higher the thread count the 'shinier' the suit, some Italian suits will go upwards of 180, and this not only makes the suit wrinkle easier but also makes it look like you wanna cook eggs off your chest).

If you're just going to get one suit, either get no pinstripes, or get very subtle chalk-stripes. If you plan on getting others, I like at least one suits that has very distinct pinstripes, as it looks very nice against quality worsted wool.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

???? They gave you bad advice. A good black suit with a nice tie always looks classy. Navy on the other hand screams out of fashion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Times 'a changin', but Black still has a Funeral/Wedding stigma is some circles. It's very dependent on the sector of buisness you're applying for, but to be 100% safe, Grey or Navy is it.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

in business situations, a black suit looks weird on guys.

edit: also check out this thread. the daver and najdorfdefense both give great advice.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:34 AM

don't go solid black...something really dark grey'ish.

how old are you? do you plan to lose/gain weight?

I would buy a crappy one. Then when you really start needing one (lots of friends getting married, older and more formal parties/events, etc) you will have a better idea of what you want.

I have a suit that I hate. Xmas present from the 'rents back when I was a freshman in college...but I rarely have a need for it...maybe 4 times a year.

I'll probably pick a newer one up in the next couple of years...maybe two (one for summer time)
Old 08-31-2007, 10:36 AM

Also, for GREAT deals, wait until right after Christmas. Massive discounts at Brooks Brothers, Nordstroms, Macy's, et al.

Jesus, one more thing:

Depending on how much you make, I'd really recommend spending cash on a quality brand as it will last 10 times as long as a suit a few hundred cheaper. Hickey Freidman, Joseph Abboud, Hart Shaftner Marx, Jos A banks, and Hugo Boss are all money, and if you get them at the right time you can keep it well below 600-700 bucks. Also, what is your body type? If you're athletic, get Abboud or Boss. If you're a bigger guy, get Marx or Jos A Banks. Hickey works for both depending on the cut of the suit.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:39 AM

I thought solid black was the way to go when I first bought a suit too. But my dad advised me that people only wear black to super formal events and funerals. I went with dark gray for my first suit.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought solid black was the way to go when I first bought a suit too. But my dad advised me that people only wear black to super formal events and funerals. I went with dark gray for my first suit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think everybody thinks this when they start out. My theory is that most of the time we see somebody in a suit, it's a Celebrity on tv or on screen. They get away with anything, plus most of the time we see them they are going to some sort of party.