Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 11-22-2007, 06:38 AM

Default Stox Book

I play $.50 / $1 shorthanded limit cash games, and was wondering if i can apply the strategies etc in stox books to this level?

Obviously there are far more donks at these levels but applying good strategies to any level should improve you results eventually, shouldnt it ?
Old 11-22-2007, 08:42 AM

Default Re: Stox Book

Poker depends ... in other words there are methods and concepts ... then there are certain lines and ranges.

Much of poker is adaption to game conditions, so while stox book is not calibrated to your game, it contains a lot of info and unlike many books also contains info on how to calibrate your game, so if the price of the book does not hurt you, it is a must-have (which can't be said of many books)
Old 11-22-2007, 09:05 AM

Well thats good then, because i ordered a copy yesterday!

thanks for the reply.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I play $.50 / $1 shorthanded limit cash games, and was wondering if i can apply the strategies etc in stox books to this level?

Obviously there are far more donks at these levels but applying good strategies to any level should improve you results eventually, shouldnt it ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a lot of them. I'm a regular SH LHE player and the info in there is great but not useful against weak opponents.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a lot of them. I'm a regular SH LHE player and the info in there is great but not useful against weak opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Stox's book is superb and is probably the best poker book out there IMHO. But it's main focus is on HU play post-flop.

At low limits you are going to see a lot more 3 or 4 way flops. Borer, Mak, and Tanenbaum's 6-max book would be better for you at this stage. 'How good is your Limit Hold'em?' is also good for multi-way pot problems.