Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 04:02 PM

Default Nut flush, ugly river.

Villain is a LAG tard pre-flop,lower aggression post-flop, i dont have the numbers on him right now.
I guess maybe 3-bettin/folding pre is a better option?
As played, do i call this river? i think bet/fold is bad here and villain is more passive post-flop so i figured he would not bluff this river or value bet anything but a house, but im getting infinity to 1 on my call.

flop, turn ok?

Poker Stars, $0.05/$0.10 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 4 Players
LeggoPoker Hand History Converter

BTN: $9.45
Hero (SB): $15
BB: $14.30
UTG: $14.95

Pre-Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (SB)
UTG folds, <font color="red">BTN raises to $0.40</font>, Hero calls $0.35, BB calls $0.30

Flop: ($1.20) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BB bets $0.60</font>, BTN folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $2.30</font>, BB calls $1.70

Turn: ($5.80) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $4.70</font>, BB calls $4.70

River: ($15.20) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BB bets $2.30</font>, Hero ???
Old 11-07-2007, 04:10 PM

Default Re: Nut flush, ugly river.

fold preflop

river, why is it so bad? quite possible he made trips. you only have around 8 left just shove it in the first time. as played shove it in now
Old 11-07-2007, 04:10 PM

Hand looks fine. I think this is a worse flush often enough for you to call ~1/8th of the pot.

If he's filled up, take note of the bet sizing for later reference.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:14 PM

micro donk, you realize the river makes any J or 5 a full house?
Old 11-07-2007, 04:14 PM

I hate the preflop action. You can't play fit-or-fold OOP against an aggressive opponent, especially when you're this short-handed. Your choices are simple -- three-bet or fold. If you're not confident enough to play this postflop then let it go and move on; there's no shame in folding a drawing hand to a raise when you're likely to be heads-up and out of position, (especially when your opponent is aggressive). Alternatively, you can three-bet big and hope to take it down immediately or on the flop, knowing that you're basically just bluffing a bluffer. Sure, your hand might be best even if you don't improve, but that showdown is a LONG ways away, and you're not likely to win there if you don't hit.

Personally, I'd play this to the bone and reraise preflop, bombing any flop as well. LAGs usually let it go at that point unless they've improved.

As played, the flop action looks pretty good to me, though you should realize that you are raising to win immediately. If BB's bet had been larger then a large-but-not-all-in checkraise would probably be a mistake. You're basically hoping that BB is weak and folds immediately. If he doesn't, then your bet disguises your true hand if you hit well on the turn, but beyond that it doesn't help much. Your best bet is for BB to fold, and when he doesn't you should be disappointed.

The turn is a good card and your bet looks fine to me. You want action and you want your river push to be an easy crying call for any weaker hands, and this bet gets that job done.

The river sucks for you. Given that your opponent is loose and aggressive leading is probably a mistake, since he'll fold any hand that you beat and he'll push with any hand that beats you (and an occasional bluff that you'll hate calling). Checking induces bluffs, and that's a much better option for you, because when you check-and-call you're far more likely to be ahead than when you bet-and-get-called. Given how small this bet was I'm thinking he's either VERY weak, VERY strong and hoping for a raise, or VERY strong and hoping to extract a bit of extra cash. In any case, raising is suicide and folding is a huge mistake (considering the pot odds). Make your crying call, expect to lose, and occasionally take down a pot that is so big that it justifies your other losses.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:34 PM

pokey [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
great post! I do realize I'm hoping that BB folds on the flop, but if he calls and i hit i have a bigger pot to work with, and get more money in. I was pushing any river that was not the jack.

What do you think his range is on the river? besides a jack or a flush? could he valuebet AA-QQ here? I am positive that he wouldnt. I doubt he would have valubet a flush even. so this really comes down to a bluff or the relative nuts?
I can't see a made hand he could turn in to bluff here, he's pretty bad
Old 11-07-2007, 04:40 PM

call, watch him turn over J3, curse, reload, stack him.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:02 PM

btw. i called and he turned over J10 for flopped two pair and rivered boat. nice smooooth call on the flop sir
Old 11-07-2007, 05:09 PM

ah i didnt see the board double pair. ignore that then

i play river the same way then
Old 11-07-2007, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What do you think his range is on the river? besides a jack or a flush? could he valuebet AA-QQ here?

[/ QUOTE ]

A loose and aggressive player can't have AA-QQ here; he'd have three-bet preflop and he'd probably have three-bet the flop as well. Beyond flushes, I think the hands you beat that he might make a weak lil' bet with are 66-99 and Tx, with Tx being the heavy part of his range in my opinion. It's also possible that he does this with an ace, hoping his two-pair, top kicker is a winning hand. Finally, he might be betting KQ/Q9/98 -- flopped OESD and chased the whole way, now making a desperation bluff on the river. If he's SUPER-loose you can throw in the inside straight draws like K9, 97, and 87 (he can't have AK because of the preflop action).