Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2007, 01:31 PM

Default Re: November [censored] thread

I'm not physically or mentally ready for a run at the BW challenge and am not in a hurry to get there. I do think when I get back to the lift that I'll try some ramping 3x8s, slowly building from 95#, just to tease out where/when my comfort level breaks down and if I can push that point upward. But given the progress I've made at 95# just by putting it in as a regular part of my routine-- I think that is where I'm going to end up. There doesn't seem to be a compelling reason to push it. Also: PVC pipe helped my progress (too) at the beginning even more than fighting a naked bar.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1) Broom handle is good.
2) Yes, blocks or those Olympic plates.

[/ QUOTE ]

have you seen those plywood cutouts in the shape of 45# plates that help teach proper technique? they are pretty sweet for beginners and/or women and children.

brag (but not a very good one)

PR'd CF WOD "Cindy" today!

Cindy is 5 pullups, 10 pullups, 15 squats
as many rounds as possible in 20 minutes.

23 rounds!

i died barely getting 13 rounds in march when i first tried it. this was a grind, but i still had a ton of gas left after laying on the floor for ten minutes to recover.

later. J.

[/ QUOTE ]

Congrats!

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks shemp.

feeling better, training hard, should be ready for you sometime in 2017!! hope all is well with you.

[/ QUOTE ]

The myth of my dominance is crumbling before my eyes. You are now one behind my present best and while I don't think I can get much better I'm afraid the heat of competition might spur you to an extra round or two. Oh well. I still have Fran (for now, anyway).

Btw, let me give my Ode to the Overhead Squat. I introduced it and worked as part of my warm-up throughout September and October-- working up to doing a couple of 15x95. At the end of October I did a max rep set and got 30-- I might have gotten more, but I didn't want to have to dump. Haven't done any since, and it doesn't look like I'll get back to it until January.

That is all just background noise. I have this to say: this lift has changed my life. I feel that my posture has improved due to a mere two months with this exercise. I have a kind of rigidity in my upper back which makes me feel as if I'm standing taller and straighter. A lesser point: I think my squat is better. I miss it, and I'm looking forward to getting back to it. I'm mulling over different options/goals for including it in my workouts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever done turkish get-ups? They sound like they would also be right up your alley.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:34 PM

Do the GTG groove protocol and you can do OHP heavy for five and six days a week. Most people feel more productive doing a "work-out" than a GTG, but for strength and recuperation it can't be beat.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not physically or mentally ready for a run at the BW challenge and am not in a hurry to get there. I do think when I get back to the lift that I'll try some ramping 3x8s, slowly building from 95#, just to tease out where/when my comfort level breaks down and if I can push that point upward. But given the progress I've made at 95# just by putting it in as a regular part of my routine-- I think that is where I'm going to end up. There doesn't seem to be a compelling reason to push it. Also: PVC pipe helped my progress (too) at the beginning even more than fighting a naked bar.

[/ QUOTE ]

after i got even a bit comfortable with the movement i felt like doing it with a light load (45#) was key to developing my postitioning a bit. sorta same with front squats where you have to have a load of some sort to help get your arms in postion. with the ohs i needed something to force me to stay active in the shoulders and be punished (drop the weight) if i swayed forward at all.

i have started helping a couple friends with basic movements and it is amazing how tough the ohs with pvc or a dowel is for almost everyone initially.

thanks for the update and great job.
btw, what has made you take them out of your programming?

cheers. J.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:40 PM

just did this workout in 78 degree water..love swimming in cold water..

All interval work mixed in with 10-15 minutes of chit-chat.

Swimming
Training Swim
2:00 pm
> 3100 meters
1:18:29 (40:44/mile)
200 WarmUp
4x200 @3:00, 3:30 interval
100 PULL
12x100 @1:25-1:30 1:45 interval
100 PULL
6x50 @0:40-0:45 1:00 interval
4x50 Over/Under
200 CoolDown
Old 11-10-2007, 04:49 PM

I planned November and most of December before I had gotten very deep into the OHS. It just doesn't fit well with how I'm planning to end up the year, although I suppose I'll do a 1x15x95 in a warm-up here and there.

You are right about the importance of introducing a light load. It would be more accurate for me to say that I have found stepping back and forward from the PVC pipe and using it for dislocates to be important parts of progressing with the movement.

On a related note. I like how much of a premium is placed on focus-- even at low loads and when you are entirely fresh. It's one of the reasons I don't see a need to push it. EG, say you are doing 1x15x95. No matter how comfortable you are with that task, if you have a really bad/sloppy rep at rep three, not only can you lose it, but you will also have created fatigue that will start to catch up with you later in the set.

There are other things I could add, but to have a lift which you feel has improved your posture after 2 months... there's not much bigger of a recommendation I can make.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Have you ever done turkish get-ups? They sound like they would also be right up your alley.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only with toy weights. I've been thinking of working it more for awhile, but simply haven't gotten around to it. I might spend a lot of second quarter next year with unilateral stuff. We'll see. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:58 PM

So we had our yearly game against williams today (huge amherst williams rivalry). Every year the teams bet jerseys, and it's a huge deal. We were down 13-0 at the half, then came back to lead 19-13 with 5 mins to go. Then the ref went apeshit and completely [censored] us. 3 or 4 situations should have ended the game (time expired but play has to be blown down). hyachhachahchac so pissed, they score a converted try to win the game fuckcockefafsdafdface so on tilt right now. blackout tonight. [censored] williams.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:44 PM

I was looking at today's crossfit workout. Regarding double-unders man these look tough..I jump rope ocassionally but not double-unders ..whats a good way to attempt to build up to say just 25 reps? Any tips on transitioning to these from regular style jumping rope. Should I attempt to increase my endurance w/ just regular jump ropes before trying these.

I can usually jumprope for only a minute to 2 minutes at most w/o fatiguing.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PR'd CF WOD "Cindy" today!

Cindy is 5 pullups, 10 pushups, 15 squats
as many rounds as possible in 20 minutes.

23 rounds!

i died barely getting 13 rounds in march when i first tried it. this was a grind, but i still had a ton of gas left after laying on the floor for ten minutes to recover.

[/ QUOTE ]
JB 23 rounds is sick. I just tried this for the first time:
Finished 14 in 20:07. Did my first 10 in 11:23 then rested for 4 1/2 minutes. Then did the last 4 for total of 14. I was shooting for 15..I started running out of time because I rested too long after the tenth.

Only real muscular fatigue I felt was the last set of pushups but I was sweating like a pig. With better time management I think I can do 16-18 ..23 rounds is tough. How often do you do this workout?

btw when you do rest in between sets do you ever drink any water or is this frowned upon ..I wanted to but didnt.