Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker

Old 11-29-2007, 08:26 PM

Default $23 NLTRN: Commit stack with TPNK?

Hi,

This is my first HU post so please be gentle. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

A few hands before, villain and I played this pot:

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t30/t60
2 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
Hero: t975
BB: t2025

Pre-flop: (2 players) Hero is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to t150</font>, BB calls t90 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t180)</font>.

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (t300, 2 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets t150</font>, BB folds.
Uncalled bets: t150 returned to Hero.

Results:
Final pot: t300

Now fast forward a few hands to this one:

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t30/t60
2 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
Hero: t1155
BB: t1845

Pre-flop: (2 players) Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to t150</font>, BB calls t90 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t180)</font>.

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (t300, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets t300</font>, Hero ??

Villain did not seem aggressive - he had folded and limped PF on the button several times for example. I was not always auto-raising PF on the button and he had folded to PF raises and c-bets before. Normally I would see top pair as a big hand HU. His leading out on this flop tells me he is not afraid of the king this time, and I don't think I can risk my whole stack on one pair here. How would you play this?

Comments appreciated.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:09 AM

Default Re: $23 NLTRN: Commit stack with TPNK?

eh i don't think the first hand necessarily tells you that he's unafraid of the king in the 2nd one. there's a million draws/air he could be leading out with, and if he's unafraid of the king he's probably going to crai here. with 600 in the pot, and you having only 965 behind w/ TP, shoving seems best.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:42 AM

I raise a little less preflop. As played I'd shove here, you're getting called by worse and his range is probably wide enough to make your turn play uncertain (though with these stacks you'd have to call any turn shove no matter the card).

If he were pretty bluffy in this spot I might be inclined to flat call because of the money in the pot, but a lot of turns could scare somebody and I doubt many villains 2 barrel bluff here (though some will). At least if they do you would probably know this by now.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
eh i don't think the first hand necessarily tells you that he's unafraid of the king in the 2nd one. there's a million draws/air he could be leading out with, and if he's unafraid of the king he's probably going to crai here. with 600 in the pot, and you having only 965 behind w/ TP, shoving seems best.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
Old 12-01-2007, 06:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I raise a little less preflop. As played I'd shove here, you're getting called by worse and his range is probably wide enough to make your turn play uncertain (though with these stacks you'd have to call any turn shove no matter the card).

If he were pretty bluffy in this spot I might be inclined to flat call because of the money in the pot, but a lot of turns could scare somebody and I doubt many villains 2 barrel bluff here (though some will). At least if they do you would probably know this by now.

[/ QUOTE ]

But Ryan if turn=scary it's a good time to bluff someone, am I right? Specially after leading into the PFR.
Why this doesn't apply?