Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: My Sharkscope stats are off by:
Results, please 5 8.20%
0 % 35 57.38%
1-3 % 13 21.31%
4-6 % 2 3.28%
> 6 % 6 9.84%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 11:24 PM

Default Re: We haven\'t won yet: latest (10/19) cliff\'s notes on AP scandal

[ QUOTE ]
I think some people might be getting some hush money...

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not...
Old 10-19-2007, 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think some people might be getting some hush money...

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the last thing people need to be saying right now.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:30 PM

The Bad Beat Jackpot has just been hit at $151814.57
Old 10-19-2007, 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

we need to make sure it answers all of the questions with absolute clarity."

[/ QUOTE ]

Clear as mud so far guys. That's Absolute clarity in this instance.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Mason:

[ QUOTE ]
We'll know more when their statement comes out.

[/ QUOTE ]

This afternoon?

Edit: Maybe this evening?

gg

[/ QUOTE ]
The following was part of an email that I receive from the AP person that I talked to earlier.

"We are hoping to get a statement out tonight.
If we dont we will on Saturday - we need to make sure it answers all of the questions with absolute clarity."

[/ QUOTE ]

lol at bolded.

All the questions that we have raised or given the answers to?

gg
Old 10-19-2007, 11:39 PM

If they just started really investigating this a couple days ago, it's very unlikely they would even know answers to all the questions with absolute clarity. I would feel more assured if they said something like "we'll tell you everything we can, but there are many issues which will require a more thorough investigation before we can definitively say what happened".

It may take a day or two to craft a carefully worded press release. I would think it would take at least a couple weeks to do a really thorough investigation on a scam of this magnitude and scope.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:39 PM

Where can I get some of those "hush moneys"? I promise to keep silent! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-19-2007, 11:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure Annie doesn't know the details of what's going on to make that statement. Of course this doesn't happen all the time in live games.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, it does. Haven't you heard of marked cards? I said something similar a few times.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have heard of marked cards actually. A clear view of everyones hole cards as was the case at AP is slightly different I think.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:40 PM

Everybody,

I have it on good authority that Absolute Poker is completely innocent! Hurrah!
Old 10-19-2007, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

"This kind of stuff happens in live games all the time," says Annie. "You just don't hear about it as much. That's why it's important for players to know how to spot cheating..."

[/ QUOTE ]
What is relevant is that it is important for the site to be able to spot cheating. These test should be running whether or not there are player complaints, but they better be used when there are complaints. It is much easier for the site to test for this type of information leak than for the players. Absolute Poker failed in its responsibility to do that, even when the cheating was ridiculously blatant so that it was convincing to almost all serious poker players just from the hands that made it to showdown.

Absolute Poker repeatedly lied and stonewalled about this, tried to cover things up (through changing registration information just after it was posted here, and by asking sites to remove unflattering threads), and threatened some of those who were speaking the truth with legal action (in AP's statement and Seif's comments--Seif has appeared to state the official AP line throughout this scandal). They said things were impossible that were obviously possible. If they didn't know something was wrong, their security department is not functioning, and any executive responsible for that incompetence should be removed.

Of course, you can't expect an unbiased statement from a spokesperson for UB/AP.

It is, nevertheless, a bad idea for them to try to say that it's the players' responsibility to detect cheating. Although that position might seem to help them deflect responsibility in the short run, if everyone were to believe them, it would greatly decrease the amount of play. People would be too suspicious to play for substantial stakes, and they would get swamped with false claims of cheating against players who were just lucky, unlike this case.

I'd be surprised if other sites which take the responsibility of holding other people's money more seriously didn't have automated detection systems that would have identified these cheaters long before the player complaints. I'd bet that PokerStars will mention that they implemented such a system years ago when this scandal starts to cool off, and Steven Levitt mentioned working on such a system for a poker site. Apparently, pretending to take security seriously was much higher on Absolute Poker's priorities than actually ensuring it.
Closed Thread