Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

View Poll Results: What will you do if they reinstate the draft?
Enlist happily and fight for my country. 21 14.00%
F that, this war is stupid. 40 26.67%
Move to Mexico or Canada 36 24.00%
BASTARD!! 53 35.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2007, 11:00 PM

Default Re: ***yankees official offseason thread*****

ESPN is reporting that Santana is going to be moved to either NY or Boston within the next 48 hours. Should be interesting.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

ROWAND for the next three years will be better than melky...the team will improve dramatically with him in center

[/ QUOTE ]

ZIPS 2008 Projection:
Rowand .276/.339/.444
Cabrera .286/.352/.419
Old 12-01-2007, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

ROWAND for the next three years will be better than melky...the team will improve dramatically with him in center

[/ QUOTE ]

ZIPS 2008 Projection:
Rowand .276/.339/.444
Cabrera .286/.352/.419

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, Melky is absurdly underrated. Plus/Minus gives it to him pretty hard. But fielding metrics still need to be corroborated with actual evidence as some decent systems may have a player as great, average or terrible all in the same year. Obv this is not the case.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever looked at Rowand's numbers before 2007?
Old 12-01-2007, 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, Melky is absurdly underrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

This drives me crazy too. Because he's spent the last two years in the majors, everyone ignores the fact that he just turned 23. He's almost a full year younger than Ellsbury. If Melky had spent the last two years playing CF in Triple-A, he'd probably be an untouchable prospect.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:26 PM

I can understand people being upset about losing prospects again for high-priced players, but I think that in this case, it is justified.

One question: After making this trade, while also taking into account the additional moves the Yankees will make to fill up holes for the 2008 season, will they be in good shape to either win the AL East or the AL Wildcard? If so, it is a great deal.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If I was cashman and I spent years putting up with George's interference, and then finally got increased control after threatening to leave, and built up a great crop of young players, and then saw the very best one traded by some [censored] a couple months after he takes over... I would probably be [censored] pissed off.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I was Cashman, I'd be ecstatic. Through my rebuilding of the Yankees farm system, I'd have acquired the best pitcher in baseball at the age of 29. Not only that, but I'd still have numerous legitimate prospects that could be important parts of the future Yankees teams for years to come.

Sure, Hughes is a great PROSPECT, but Santana has proven for years that he is a dominating, frontline starter. If Hughes pans out, he is AT BEST what Santana already is. If the Yankees end up acquiring Santana, I don't see how anyone can deny that the Yankees are closer to winning a championship. Isn't that what it's all about if you are a Yankees fan?

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously it depends on who is calling the shots on whether hughes will be included or not, and whether cashman supports it or not... but a lot of the reports I've seen say there was a lot of debate within the organization and certain people voiced strong objections to including him but were overruled, and that person that was overruled was cashman. If it is the case that Cashman didn't want to make him eligible in a package but was ignored, my point makes sense. If he is the one who wants to be aggressive obviously it doesn't. But I think that if Hank is overruling Cashman there is a significant chance of him going to another team, and that would end the period of being responsible and smart and turn into Hank being a douchebag nutso. Based on his immature Torre and Arod comments I am completely convinced he is bad for the club if he doesn't keep his nose out of key decisions.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can understand people being upset about losing prospects again for high-priced players, but I think that in this case, it is justified.

One question: After making this trade, while also taking into account the additional moves the Yankees will make to fill up holes for the 2008 season, will they be in good shape to either win the AL East or the AL Wildcard? If so, it is a great deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're trading winning now at the expense of winning in the future. These trades won't dramatically increase their chances of winning. Crockpot can comment more on this than I can though :/
Old 12-01-2007, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If I was cashman and I spent years putting up with George's interference, and then finally got increased control after threatening to leave, and built up a great crop of young players, and then saw the very best one traded by some [censored] a couple months after he takes over... I would probably be [censored] pissed off.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I was Cashman, I'd be ecstatic. Through my rebuilding of the Yankees farm system, I'd have acquired the best pitcher in baseball at the age of 29. Not only that, but I'd still have numerous legitimate prospects that could be important parts of the future Yankees teams for years to come.

Sure, Hughes is a great PROSPECT, but Santana has proven for years that he is a dominating, frontline starter. If Hughes pans out, he is AT BEST what Santana already is. If the Yankees end up acquiring Santana, I don't see how anyone can deny that the Yankees are closer to winning a championship. Isn't that what it's all about if you are a Yankees fan?

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously it depends on who is calling the shots on whether hughes will be included or not, and whether cashman supports it or not... but a lot of the reports I've seen say there was a lot of debate within the organization and certain people voiced strong objections to including him but were overruled, and that person that was overruled was cashman. If it is the case that Cashman didn't want to make him eligible in a package but was ignored, my point makes sense. If he is the one who wants to be aggressive obviously it doesn't. But I think that if Hank is overruling Cashman there is a significant chance of him going to another team, and that would end the period of being responsible and smart and turn into Hank being a douchebag nutso. Based on his immature Torre and Arod comments I am completely convinced he is bad for the club if he doesn't keep his nose out of key decisions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cashman overruled Hank and Hal during the managerial decision. They wanted Mattingly, he wanted Girardi and he got his way. So I'm not entirely sure Cashman has lost all power within the organization.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They're trading winning now at the expense of winning in the future. These trades won't dramatically increase their chances of winning. Crockpot can comment more on this than I can though :/

[/ QUOTE ]

They are trading for the best pitcher in the league who is 29 years old. They have the resources to add players who they might need to fill holes in the future. They have legitimate prospects who can contribute greatly in the future. I agree with your point if it was a small-market team and they were trading young talent for a high-priced player, but it's the Yankees.