Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 05:39 PM

Default Re: Nut flush, ugly river.

of course he can't have AA-QQ. I was thinking he was the button for a second there (unfocused).

I find it hard to include 66-99 in his range, but I guess at 10nl anything is possible, even a inside straight draw. But calling that bet really feels like giving away money even though it's most likely +ev in the long run.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fold preflop

river, why is it so bad? quite possible he made trips. you only have around 8 left just shove it in the first time. as played shove it in now

[/ QUOTE ]
Normally I'd fold preflop with a suited Ace in the SB too. However, I'm mixing it up 80% folds and 20% calls. Against really loose/aggressive players PF I will typically call and see what kind of flop I get. I used to call anything reasonable in the SB if I had a suited Ace, but I looked at my PT stats and discovered it was a major leak. So the 80/20 thing has worked out well for me. Obviously these situations are very player dependent.

AC
Old 11-07-2007, 05:51 PM

I call with Axs in the blinds from a steal like never. the reason i did it in this spot is that button is loose and bad, but after thinking over what pokey said it kinda confirmed what i was thinking. it's no good. even against an clueless opponent.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I call with Axs in the blinds from a steal like never. the reason i did it in this spot is that button is loose and bad, but after thinking over what pokey said it kinda confirmed what i was thinking. it's no good. even against an clueless opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]
Like I said in my previous post, against a LAGtard preflop, I will call a reasonably raise (i.e. 4xBB or less). Anything over 4xBB I'm folding.

AC
Old 11-08-2007, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Like I said in my previous post, against a LAGtard preflop, I will call a reasonably raise (i.e. 4xBB or less). Anything over 4xBB I'm folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I've seen, smooth-calling lagtards is really EXACTLY what they want: you figure you can play a "wait and see" game, but they're better at "push you out" than you are at "wait and see." You've got A9s and the flop comes Q94r; how happy are you about your hand? Or the flop is A76r and villain bets or raises hard -- now what? You might be getting muscled out (in fact, you often are) but you might be up against a real hand. Villain is in position and he knows your hand much better than you know his -- if the money all winds up in the middle, you're likely to lose. This is a "win a small pot, lose a big one" RIO (reverse implied odds) situation. By smooth-calling with a mediocre hand you really set yourself up for disaster postflop.

In these situations -- in fact, in blind-stealing situations in general -- I've started smooth-calling VERY rarely. I'll smooth-call a smaller pocket pair if I'm overcalling: that gives me the padding I need to set-mine. However, if everybody folds to me, I'm usually going to either three-bet or fold. I'll dump most hands but if I'm playing it, I'm playing it to the BONE. This puts the lagtard in a very unpleasant situation -- he's stealing the blinds very often, but when he gets resistance he knows he's up against something very unpleasant. He either autofolds, and you scoop with your hand uncontested (not a bad outcome from the blinds) or he calls and has to play a VERY big pot with a hand that can't stand up to the heat. If I three-bet preflop I'm intending to lead any flop for about 2/3rds of the pot -- I find I win the pot with that bet much more than half the time. If I'm reraised I'm either all-in on the flop or folding, depending on this circumstances.

Smooth-calling out of position against a loose and aggressive opponent is just not a profitable situation with any hand but the very strongest. With KK/AA you might consider occasionally trapping with a "call, check-call, check-call, check-raise" strategy, but as a general rule I'm either hitting back or running away preflop.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:23 PM

As a bit of a LAGtard myself I'd like to confirm that I LOVE playing against people that 3bet their big hands, call (and go halfway/too far with) their mediocre hands, and fold their weak hands. The people that go halfway with mediocre hands are tastiest. If they will go all the way, they are a little harder, since I do actually have to make some sort of hand, but I'm usually going to win here whenever we get to showdown in a big pot, probably with something that will put you on tilt.

People that play like Pokey advises are a pain, except the ones that throw out undersized speculative 3bets with their mediocre hands and real 3bets with their better hands. 3bet light like you mean it. The only adjustment we can reasonably make is to tighten up against you, and frankly most LAGtards are very bad at that.