Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 07:14 PM

Default blind battle discussion

Assuming it is folded to the blinds,

1. from the sb in 25 and 50nl, what range are you generally completing and what are you raising versus a standard oponent at this level? (loose caller pre, will call flop&turn bets with almost any pair)

2. as the bb, when you see a donk constantly complete with trash and you're sure he'll insta call a raise, what range are your raising?

ty
Old 11-02-2007, 08:15 PM

Default Re: blind battle discussion

1. I *rarely* complete anything. I don't want to play OOP if I can avoid it. If I gots a read that the BB will call off lots of chips with any pair postflop Then I tend to raise any hand that I'd raise from MP + any Ace.

2 I don't let people complete my BB I raise them with ATC and then CB ANY scary looking flop or any flop where I make a reasonable hand. I *want* to play raised pots in position with donks - it's how I make money. After a while IME villains tend to adjust to this (badly) by folding most of their SB's to me without a fight and then if they raise I get out of the way unless I have a hand.

A a general rule SBvBB hands play much like HU poker. Pairs are goot and even Ace High will win quite a few pots as just one pair is quite hard to make. I will felt TPGK+ on almost any board - also as the BB I have position in everyone of these hands that SB plays against me this is a GOOD thing cos I have control over how big the pot gets so I'll get my MP/BP hands to SD frequently in small pots and beat their trash hands often. I can get out of the way if the board comes 4flush or 4straight and villain wakes up and bets big if I choose to.

These situations are much much less about what hand values to do x with preflop and much more about reading hands and calling/raising if you are ahead of his range - or folding if you think you are behind postflop.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:51 PM

Default Re: blind battle discussion

[ QUOTE ]
1. from the sb in 25 and 50nl, what range are you generally completing and what are you raising versus a standard oponent at this level? (loose caller pre, will call flop&turn bets with almost any pair)

[/ QUOTE ]

I am raising 100% to 3BB until he's calling me and calling my 3/4 pot cbet enough to be unprofitable, about 1/3 time, or 3betting me more than 1/4 times. It is an exploitive strategy that works so often that finding a 'folder' in my BB has become an absolute requirement for me to remain at a 25/50NL table. This isn't a tough requirement, 90%+ fold BB to a steal over and over without fighting back at all.

I should mention that I think raising 4BB in this situation is a leak. Consider how often he needs to fold preflop and on the flop for a 4BB bet to turn a profit. Assume you never have a hand. Hands are for nits who secretly hate poker. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

When combined with the other half of my SB strategy- raising almost any limper- I raise a lot from the SB with a lot of marginal hands. I'm almost embarrassed to admit- my VPIP from the SB is about 38%, almost as much as from the button. I almost never call from the SB, and never, never, never in a BvB situation. But I've been well into the green from the SB for more than 100K hands doing this, so I'm hesitant to mess with it too much. I certainly won't take [censored] from anyone who can't say the same thing.

[ QUOTE ]
2. as the bb, when you see a donk constantly complete with trash and you're sure he'll insta call a raise, what range are your raising?

[/ QUOTE ]

I really need a better BB strategy. My current one is based on the idea that:

a)I'm in position
b)I can outplay him postflop and take it away a lot when he loses interest
c)he's obviously bad, he'll stack off to my hidden monsters, while the probability of me doing the same is pretty small.

so I check a lot of hands. Like up to A-low-off.

Results are so-so. Obviously I'm doing (way) better than open-folding the blinds, but I'm pretty sure I could do better with a more aggressive BB BvB strategy. Only thing holding me back really is that my VPIP is already embarrassingly high. Totally dumb reason, I know. Maybe after I finish cutting down on my UTG and MP raising. (now at 6% and 9% VPIP respectively, and dropping. I will get those solidly and regularly into the green, dammit, if I have to fold 99% to do it.)

Edit: combine my SB strategy with Matrix's BB strategy and you will crush BvB play, IMO.