Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2007, 08:57 PM

Default Re: Barry: most poker books are written by losers

I think Barry is right somehow. I have a hard time following what Mason rights about limit holdem when I see he can't win at 100-200 and have to go back to 30-60. Different story is a book written by Stox, because he's a big winner and he knows what he's talking about.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The title, 'Play like the pros' might be a lil overkill. The razz section isn't very complete but it certainly at least won't get you playing like an idiot and will at least give you a gambling chance.

[/ QUOTE ]
According to his interview from the 50k HORSE tournament, Hellmuth is "world class" at razz so the chapter in his book must be genius. Of course, I'm not sure exactly which "world" he's living in...

[/ QUOTE ]

It should be obvious to anyone that Hellmuth is living in the world that he has spent his entire life in - Phil Hellmuth Land!
Old 10-20-2007, 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Poker is like sex, you can't learn it from books alone.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of the worst analogies I've ever read.

If given the choice, I'd take just about any 2+2 book, SS2, some of Ciaffone's stuff, etc., over Ace on the River. But I do own AoTR and don't regret the purchase.

But then again, I guess I just named off books that were written by player/winners which I assume weren't the books he was talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ace on the river tells you more about living the poker life as a gambler rather than real strategy.