Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 03:20 PM

Default 10NL: KQs flops 2P against a strange villain

I don't usually play KQ from early position. However, apparently once in a thousand hands something like this comes up. I know perfectly well that my hand needs to hit well on an ace-free flop to play past a single cbet.

<u>Reads:</u> The villain is completely unknown. He's been on the same table for almost an hour but hasn't shown down a single hand and has been invisible in practically every regard. The table is soft, even for 10NL.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (9 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

SB ($5)
BB ($6.15)
UTG ($17)
UTG+1 ($6.15)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($17.45)</font>
<font color="#C00000">MP2 ($4.90)</font>
MP3 ($2.65)
CO ($10.10)
Button ($12.35)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.4</font>, MP2 calls $0.40, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>.

<font color="blue">I don't play this from early position unless the table allows to steal with impunity. Surprisingly villain calls, and I know I need TP 95% of the time to take the pot if cbet gets called.</font>

Flop: ($0.95) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.6</font>, MP2 calls $0.60.

<font color="blue">Standard cbet, 2/3 of the pot and villain just calls. Strange.</font>

Turn: ($2.15) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1.3</font>, MP2 calls $1.30.

<font color="blue">A blank on the river, so I keep firing. Villain calls again and I start to suspect sneaky AA.</font>

River: ($4.75) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets $0.1</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3.4</font>, MP2 calls $2.50 (All-In).

<font color="blue">I suspected villain would fold any hands I beat, if I bet out. I wanted him to bet with the worse hand here. His minbet was honestly weird. What kind of hands would he call twice to do this? I figure my hand is good and any raise is as good as shove against villain's stack.</font>

Final Pot: $9.95

Yes, Yes. The river shove against a minbet wasn't that well thought out. I expected the villain to show AA. How would you have played this?
Old 11-21-2007, 03:29 PM

Default Re: 10NL: KQs flops 2P against a strange villain

Top 2 against a half stack? Go broke here everytime.
Id bet a little more on each street (for value) and bet out on the river, probably shove given what he has left.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Top 2 against a half stack? Go broke here everytime.
Id bet a little more on each street (for value) and bet out on the river, probably shove given what he has left.

[/ QUOTE ]

All true...why did you expect him to show AA?
Old 11-21-2007, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All true...why did you expect him to show AA?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen many Joe Random Sixpacks slowplay their aces during the last three weeks. Not often enough to show a trend yet, but certainly enough to register and take note of. As such, I suspected I was against one myself at last.