Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2007, 04:46 PM

Default Re: My poker database has me convinced...

[ QUOTE ]
stompin, I'd like to applaud you for being the first person to make an rigged thread and not be a total idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]
QFMFT
Old 03-09-2007, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
stompin, I'd like to applaud you for being the first person to make an rigged thread and not be a total idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]
QFMFT

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-09-2007, 08:47 PM

No worries dude, I would have posted too if my stats weren't oke.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not a problem at all.

You saw something that was really wacky and you approached this extremely maturely and professionally compared with almost all of the other, "Hey, it's obviously rigged" posts that we get around here.

I also don't think this little exercise was a waste of everyone's time. It was worth looking into.
And while we all were thinking, "something's got to be wrong with the filters" it took quite awhile before somebody thought, "Did you have the latest PT patch?"

So that is another brain-storm we can add to the troubleshooting arsenal a bit more quickly the next time somebody else has something really screwy happen to their PT.

Glad we figured it out. And glad we can put this latest wave of "OMG It's RIGGGED" paranoia to bed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that we all agree that you approached this in an exemplary fashion.

Let me also make another observation: Once you had the (objective) stats, it was easy to for you to remember all of the subjective feelings - that other people seemed to be getting lots of pocket pairs, etc. I think that's human nature. You took the very correct path of checking your intuition with the numbers; most folks never go beyond the subjective impression, and that leads to the tiresome refrain that "online poker is rigged."

So congrats for taking the right path, and thanks to WayneX2 for the sharp diagnosis. A very interesting thread, all in all.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really find it fishy when certain people relentlessly defend online poker without even taking a second to realize all the motives an online poker website would have in altering the games.

[/ QUOTE ]

l-o-l

so sites are going to rig something pretty easily detectable in order to make a few % more profit and risk being basically shut down/boycotted when they're making TONS of money as it is?
Old 03-09-2007, 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I really find it fishy when certain people relentlessly defend online poker without even taking a second to realize all the motives an online poker website would have in altering the games.

[/ QUOTE ]

l-o-l

so sites are going to rig something pretty easily detectable in order to make a few % more profit and risk being basically shut down/boycotted when they're making TONS of money as it is?

[/ QUOTE ]

I said the exact thing earlier in the thread, though more eloquently (lool)

[ QUOTE ]

Given how easy it would be to prove rigging with Poker Tracker(or whatever) and the number of people using it, why in gods name would Party take the risk? You don't squeeze the hell out of your golden goose to get one more egg per day. I would believe that there is an error in Poker Tracker way way before I would buy that Party is rigging. If it were conclusively proven they would be [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

I would honestly place a greater chance of a deep cover agent (from a competitor, wherever, lol) at Party rigging in this manner in order to discredit the company then Party rigging for its own 'benefit'. That said, OP handled himself very well and kudos to posters that spent time figuring this out.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:21 PM

just wanted to point out that the standard deviation takes into account the sample size.

so you have the same probability of being 6 standard deviations from the expectation whether you have 100 hands or 100 million hands... the difference is, a standard deviation for 100 million hands will be much much smaller (relatively) than the standard deviation over 100 hands.

e.g. for winrate, a standard deviation over 100 hands might be something like 30BB/100, whereas a standard deviation over 100 million hands might be something like 0.01BB/100 (numbers made up).
Old 03-09-2007, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
stompin, I'd like to applaud you for being the first person to make a rigged thread and not be a total idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Edit to add: Nice job Waynex2 for solving the mystery.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
QFMFT

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree a little....just a little. If the stats were off THAT bad then OP would have noticed without needing to go to pokertracker. I mean if you get dealt a PP or decent suited connectors nearly half of the time then you would notice it pretty quickly. Now, at the risk of sounding like an idiot myself....what is QFMFT?
Old 03-09-2007, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. A Rigged thread that read more like a Mystery novel than a tabloid. Good job by all.