Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2007, 02:32 AM

Default Microstakes Bubble play

36 man satelite into the 100k so 7 people get paid. 7th gets 6$ and the rest get the 10$ entry. Tourney buy in is 2$. I am 5/8 and 2 people are at 1.5k and the sb is slightly lower than me.

Blinds are 1000/500,

Button (Me): 4800 chips
SB (X): 4800 chips
BB (X): 9000 chips

I get dealt A8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] It folds around to me.I shove. I didn't want to but I was told it was a good shove? BB calls with AQ and I don't hit my flush. Is this a good shove?

IMO it isn't since those 2 players have 1 blind.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:44 AM

Default Re: Microstakes Bubble play

fold any hand, you just said 2 players only have 1.5 bb, you have almost 5. and an entire orbit for players to be eliminated until the blinds hit you again
Old 08-18-2007, 03:54 AM

Ya I think this is a fold every hand. Though I'm not sure about AA.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:36 AM

Number one rule of Satallites, never ever forget why you are there. I did this once, in almost the exact same situation, and paid dearly for it, when there were 30 ppl to qualify, it's down to 31 ppl, and I make the mistake of even looking at my cards.

I'm in the BB, and the button (who is the chip leader) makes a button move after many call the BB (which is 1k), and raises it up to 5k. I have 13k left, about 4 at my table only have about 5k or less.

I look down, and you guessed it, I got pocket aces. I don't know anyone who once they see AA as their hole cards, will fold it (myself included).

I go all in, everyone folds to the button, he says, I was just making a move, but now, I'm priced in (I can already feel the hoover warming up in the background). He then goes on to say, I figure you got AA, and if thats so, then I have two live cards.

He calls, proceeds to turn over 7, duce o/s. Flop is 7, 7, duce, I don't get any ace on the turn or river, and I'm out as the bubble girl in 31st place.

Thus, I learned two lessons here (the hard way).

1) Always remember why I'm there in the first place (to win a seat into a bigger event)

2) If in a Satallite event, and you are close to the bubble where you'd qualify, and you have other players shorter stacked than you are, don't even bother to look at your cards, just fold them sight unseen.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:00 AM

Even if you push with A8 and get called by A7 you have a chance to lose vs 100% chance to win if you wait for 1 of the 3 people below you to bust. Especially when 2 people only have 1.5k with the blinds at 500/1k, you are almost certain to outlast them even if you fell asleep.
Old 08-18-2007, 03:31 PM

Alright, thanks.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:47 AM

Ok so you should fold AA PF in a satellite bubble if therea re some players whose stack is lower than yours.

What if for the next to hands the SS shoves, doubles up, then the next shortest stack shoves his AA and doubles up. Now you are the SS and you just missed your rockets, so what do you do / how do you play now? I understand the point that you should take minimal risks within a satellite bubble but if you fold every hand you might be the first out of the bubble anyway.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:01 AM

LOL at CincyLady. Pretty illustrative story. Perfect reason to fold even AA there I agree. Given this situation, I would get rid of A8.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:15 AM

It was incorrect and foolish for BB to risk half his stack when he could have folded and coasted to a seat. Still your best play here with your stack and some micro stacks ready to go out is to fold.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok so you should fold AA PF in a satellite bubble if therea re some players whose stack is lower than yours.

What if for the next to hands the SS shoves, doubles up, then the next shortest stack shoves his AA and doubles up. Now you are the SS and you just missed your rockets, so what do you do / how do you play now? I understand the point that you should take minimal risks within a satellite bubble but if you fold every hand you might be the first out of the bubble anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

than you have to reorientate and play as a shortstack.
you can't consider all possible future situations in poker.
you just can react to the current situation.

if you got a good chance by folding to get a seat than do it, if your stack gets smaller you will have to play more hands.