Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2007, 11:55 PM

Default SnG strategy under construction

Here's a strategy that I've kind of used my losses to show me, that I hope will help someone who's just getting started in low-limit sit and go's. I didn't even play poker until a friend turned me onto a site, and the S&G's were my first play. PLEASE someone correct me if there's anything wrong with this. It's just what's worked for me, and I'm up 155% since I started using it.

Early on in the game (usually 9-handed), I play very tightly, usually only playing AA - TT, 99 in late position, and AK suited and not, as well as AQ suited in late position. If that sounds like a lot of hands, believe me it's not, and the attention span in you will be dying to give your money away. But DON'T...please don't. You'll win some money playing more hands early on, but you'll lose far more, believe me.

You'll know you've hit the middle of the game when there's about 6 players left. All the donks have either gone out or forced good players to go out by rivering them, and the whole table seems to tighten up. Stick to your guns here. The top 3 places get money, and everyone will begin to smell it, especially around 5 players. If someone wants to be a hero get a big chip stack by knocking others out, let them! You can get them back when you're in the money. Blinds become a factor here, and if you're on the button, a well-place 4xBB raise with a suited Ace-x down to 7 might provide you with some money, forcing the blinds to fold. Don't do this, though, if one of the blinds outstacks you by 2.5 times or more. They will call almost every time. Still stay pretty conservative, and you will find that you are in the money 70% of the time. Someone will take a big loss and go on tilt, and that's really just all you need.

When you are in the money, the two players around you should be almost SCARED of you because you are such a different player. The only hand you should NOT play in the money is, perhaps, the button. Call raises with semi-decent hands up to 3xBB, because a lot of people will bluff. You'll find that the poker gods shine on you more times than not when you call a 3xBB raise with marginal cards (A-high, K-high, suited connectors down to 7/6) in a 3-handed game. Pairs deserve a 5xBB raise down to 55 and 2.5xBB after that. If you start playing now, people will fear you. Word of caution...be CAREFUL when you're going against the big stack if you are not it. If that big stack pot commits you (35%) of your chips after the flop, seriously consider folding if you don't have high pair or middle pair. Remember, there are fewer players, so there's less chance that someone will have the nuts. If you are the big stack, you might consider folding a few hands to let the 2 shorter stacks eat each other. It can be great fun to watch this form of cannibalism, and I've often made side bets with my live friends as to which one of the other two will go out first.

If you really want to know the truth, I've taken medicine which won't let me go to sleep, so I had nothing better to do than to sit here and write this. If this helps, please...let me know. If this sucks then please let me know as well. Take care.

Cameron
Old 06-05-2007, 12:01 AM

Default Re: SnG strategy under construction

[ QUOTE ]
Early on in the game (usually 9-handed), I play very tightly, usually only playing AA - TT, 99 in late position, and AK suited and not, as well as AQ suited in late position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only read this far but that is waaaay too tight early on. 22+ should always be played even for a standard raise.

[ QUOTE ]
If someone wants to be a hero get a big chip stack by knocking others out, let them! You can get them back when you're in the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
When you are in the money, the two players around you should be almost SCARED of you because you are such a different player. The only hand you should NOT play in the money is, perhaps, the button.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate to say but this is by far the worst advice I've ever seen. I am now convinced you are a gimmick account and am making a poll somewhere to vote on this.

/Thread
Old 06-05-2007, 12:04 AM

I understand that you are trying to help (unless this is someones gimmick account) but this post is very inaccurate in many many ways. I'm not going to get into it now cuz im tired. But this post is going to get ripped apart
Old 06-05-2007, 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you will find that you are in the money 70% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

you mean like 7/10?
Old 06-05-2007, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you will find that you are in the money 70% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

you should take up WVU's prop [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-05-2007, 03:30 PM

i cant imagine someone would dedicate THIS much time to being a gimmic....guess theres a first time for everything [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-05-2007, 03:33 PM

Moderators, please add to FAQ....thxs
Old 06-05-2007, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You'll find that the poker gods shine on you more times than not when you call a 3xBB raise with marginal cards

[/ QUOTE ]

Strategy relying on 'the poker gods'?

Whats next, always chase clubs because they look a little bit like four leaf clovers?
Fold pocket kings cos they look a bit dodgy? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-06-2007, 09:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Moderators, please add to FAQ....thxs

[/ QUOTE ] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

For wich buyin has this been written?
Old 06-06-2007, 09:36 AM

maybe 3+0.40$