Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 11:18 AM

Default Multitabling Advice

I usually play 2 tables at NL10 but i tried 4 for the first time and had my my biggest ever downswing. I was running badly but im sure its down to the extra tables i played. i was just wondering if other players find that their bb/100 drops when they multitable and if any one has good advice when playing more tables ty.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:28 AM

Default Re: Multitabling Advice

Dont jump to 4 go to 3 first. If you can 2 table take notes and fold your laundry, or make a pp&j sandwich you can add another table. If you can not do all three of those things dont add another table yet. Same thing goes with going from 3 to 4 tables.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:29 AM

1) Focus - no back ground noise. Even tone down the music the first time

2) Don't just double the amount of tables, steadily increment. So try 3 next, not 4

3) Review - it may not have been the MT'ing it might just have been variance. Review your hands and see where and why you lost money.

4) Don't be afraid to time out the first few times as you get use to it. There will always me be more hands to play.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:41 AM

I'd like to jump on that train, too. Also tried for the first time 2 tables at NL10.
What do u guys think is a reasonable number of hands played at one level if u usually only 2 or 3 table max ?
Do u still need to play around 10k hands to check if u are okay with ur skill at this level ?
Or due to max 3 tables and much better oppurtunity to watch the other players at your table, it could be possible that's enough to have played around 3k hands at one level ?

I think it could make a difference playing less tables but therefore be able to focus much more on your current opponents...

If I'm completely wrong here, pls let me know :-)

Thanks a lot in advance.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:44 AM

Open up Stars .1/.2, fire up 12 tables, play for one hour.

Return to NL10 and play 4 tables and you will be wondering why everyone is playing so slow. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Edit: Ok seriously, just add a table here and there until your used to it, and before you know it your at 4-6. Biggest thing is you are not making a ton of decisions at the same time in most cases anyways. For me as long as all the tables are in view and not tiled/overlapping 4 is super easy to keep up with all thats going on.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:57 AM

advice already helps, thanks. I'll give that a try asap.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:57 AM

I usually play 3, partially because I can't resize the windows. I actually totally hate the absence of that feature. The only alternative is a miniview, which is way to small to put on my HUD info. If I start playing 4 tables I tend to play much worse and call down too much and I stop making decision and start playing in a rhythm (i.e. calling and bluffing). When my "bankroll" is big enough, I will move to another site where I can resize windows. Till then, definitely 3 tables for me.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:27 PM

I would like to add that the monitor is a huge component to making multitabling easier. I used to play on a small monitor (non 1600x1200 compatible) and used to try to play a bunch of different tables using overlaps/tiling etc. It always felt like it was ok, but stunk in away.

When I really noticed the difference was when I picked up a new monitor with 1600x1200 resolution capabilities and began playing with zero overlapping etc. It makes a huge difference.

If you are a cheap or dont have the money for some of the recommended 20" dells/samsungs flatpanel monitors, look into picking up an older CRT 22" or larger. You should be able to find one of those somewhere for a very cheap price. Sure they are bulky, but they do the trick.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:43 PM

i just started 6-tabling and it was easy, so i jumped up to 8 tables and that seemed easy ... now im doing 10-12 but my stats have changed due to it but i'm still running the same ptBB/100
Old 09-26-2007, 08:02 PM

Ive just started 9 tabling from 4 tabling and my advice to you is that if you are losing when you play more tables then you need to work on your game until it is solid enough that you don't have to think about what you're doing. You have no time when you are muti-tabling to figure out what to do in common yet tricky spots like mid pairs on overcard boards OOP.

If you are losing when you multi-table, then stop. Play your usual 2 tables, then add one more for your last 100 hands or so. Just work up to it. But if you're losing, then stop!