Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-18-2007, 02:28 PM

Default Anyone who transitioned from NL holdem to Pot-limit Omaha?

For about 6 months, I have been attending a 200 pesos (about $20 dollars) NL holdem home game every Wednesday. Usually it is in tournament format, with the ocassional cash game.

The whole time, I have also been trying to find other groups of players so I can play more than just once a week. I have found other groups, but I always end up not going anymore because these other groups play in a way that doesn't really do it for me. For example:

-Everyone puts in a blind pre-flop (everybody!!!). I guess kind of like antes, except without small and big blinds. -
-You can't go all-in preflop or on the flop, but you can go all-in during the turn or the river.
-ETC, etc.

I love the game of poker and it bothers me when it is not played according to the rules.

Last week I finally found a group of people who play 100% by the rules. They don't just follow the rules, but they also follow proper poker ettiquete (don't speak about the hand you threw away, don't tell the other player in the hand what to do, etc).

They play tournaments with 1000 pesos (about $100 dollar) buy-in.

All of this is perfect except for one little detail:

They play Pot-Limit Omaha (high).

I have played pot-limit omaha about 4 times in my life. I know how the game is played, but I lack the experience.

So my questions are these:

1.-Is this worth pursuing?
2.-Does a player that is pretty good in holdem have a good chance of being good in Omaha? Or are the two things completely independent?
3.-I have heard that in Omaha there is more skill than in holdem? True?
4.-Any advice is appreciated.

Even though I would love to go to this game every Thursday, I don't want to go to just donate $100. I want to go if I can have some +EV eventually.

Colima420