Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2006, 01:01 PM

Default (60) QQ...I got check-called-led-turneded

I believe this would be standard, but just checking.

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t1500)
UTG+1 (t1500)
MP1 (t1500)
Hero (t1500)
MP3 (t1500)
CO (t1500)
Button (t1500)
SB (t1500)
BB (t1500)

Preflop: Hero is in MP2 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, MP1 calls t20, <font color="red">Hero raises to t75</font>, <font color="gray">MP3 folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>, MP1 calls t55

Flop: (t180) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
MP1 checks, <font color="red">Hero bets t150</font>, MP1 calls t150

Turn: (t480) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)
<font color="red">MP1 bets t400</font>, <font color="gray">Hero folds</font>
Old 09-07-2006, 01:05 PM

Default Re: (60) QQ...I got check-called-led-turneded

raise more preflop. the rest looks good.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
raise more preflop. the rest looks good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second this. raise to 100 PF
Old 09-07-2006, 01:37 PM

Standard, yes.

But the action to this point does make it fun to speculate a bit about MP &amp; his hand.

A "solid" player isn't check-calling this flop (considering the hands that have brought him to this point).

So, if he's your run-of-the-mill donk, what is he doing PF, flop, turn?

If leading the turn is a sign of aggression (into the PF raiser &amp; flop pot'r), what is he telling us? And where was this aggression on the flop?

Does a flopped set not lead or c-raise the flop?
What about AT/5/9? Spiking his 2nd pair, is he not killing the action some vs. the aggressor?
Might not AT(or even 9) lead the flop, or maybe even c-raise? Again...a more 'aggressive' line.

Does a naked Ace cold-call the flop lead?

If cold-calling the flop is 'setting us up' for the big move on the Turn, isn't a c-raise more likely from this type?

Limp/raise-calling the flop, cold-calling the flop, are both indicative of a more loose-passive approach. Leading on a 'scare' card Turn (a reasonable assumption he may make with our solid flop c-bet), might just also mean he has a host of other hands we are still ahead of (draws, PP's, peices+).

A bit early to be able to piece this together I suppose, but stuff to think about.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Standard, yes.

But the action to this point does make it fun to speculate a bit about MP &amp; his hand.

A "solid" player isn't check-calling this flop (considering the hands that have brought him to this point).

So, if he's your run-of-the-mill donk, what is he doing PF, flop, turn?

If leading the turn is a sign of aggression (into the PF raiser &amp; flop pot'r), what is he telling us? And where was this aggression on the flop?

Does a flopped set not lead or c-raise the flop?
What about AT/5/9? Spiking his 2nd pair, is he not killing the action some vs. the aggressor?
Might not AT(or even 9) lead the flop, or maybe even c-raise? Again...a more 'aggressive' line.

Does a naked Ace cold-call the flop lead?

If cold-calling the flop is 'setting us up' for the big move on the Turn, isn't a c-raise more likely from this type?

Limp/raise-calling the flop, cold-calling the flop, are both indicative of a more loose-passive approach. Leading on a 'scare' card Turn (a reasonable assumption he may make with our solid flop c-bet), might just also mean he has a host of other hands we are still ahead of (draws, PP's, peices+).

A bit early to be able to piece this together I suppose, but stuff to think about.

[/ QUOTE ]

good thoughts.

without a read, given hero's small pfr, villan's range is going to be wider than a normal cold caller's imo (PPs, medium aces+, s/c, suited broadway perhaps.

The almost pot size lead on the turn is suspicious to me. Would two pair or a set doing this. maybe T9? AK raises pf me thinks. AQ could float the flop but the turn bet would be makes no sense.

Without the wacky action folding this turn would be standardish and i would still let it go.

Why such a small pfr?
Old 09-07-2006, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why such a small pfr?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get why I'm getting railed for raising nearly 4xbb here. I always thought the "standard" was 3x + 1x/limper. Are those 5 chips really killing me?
Old 09-07-2006, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't get why I'm getting railed for raising nearly 4xbb here. I always thought the "standard" was 3x + 1x/limper. Are those 5 chips really killing me?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not the 5 chip difference. It's the 4xBB raise at 10/20. People don't fold early on because it's so cheap to see flops compared to the stack sizes. I would make it at least 100 to protect the hand preflop.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not the 5 chip difference. It's the 4xBB raise at 10/20. People don't fold early on because it's so cheap to see flops compared to the stack sizes. I would make it at least 100 to protect the hand preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo
Old 09-07-2006, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

for the same reason that youre so often raising to only 3x at t50 will you raise more at t20...early on people want to take flops, later they dont and 3x usually gets the same job done with less risk, but to get that job done and protect your hand you need to make it more here, 100 looks good, 80 is my min. amount here.

looks fine overall