Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2007, 05:16 AM

Default Major space hosting for small money?

I have an idea for a business that requires quite sizable hosting space and transfer. What im wondering is if anyone knows of companies that offer lets say: 20TB or more file-space, and 200tb monthly transfer monthly for a decent price?
Old 06-08-2007, 08:00 AM

Default Re: Major space hosting for small money?

200TB? You realize thats youtube levels right?
And 20TB of storage?

If you need that much storage/bandwidth you will be getting your own cage at a datacenter and your own pipes.

Youtube was paying $1 million a month when they were at that size for bandwidth charges alone.

I don't know what you're planning on doing but whatever it is you won't be using the same amount of bandwidth and storage as youtube for a long time so start small and scale.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
200TB? You realize thats youtube levels right?
And 20TB of storage?

If you need that much storage/bandwidth you will be getting your own cage at a datacenter and your own pipes.

Youtube was paying $1 million a month when they were at that size for bandwidth charges alone.

I don't know what you're planning on doing but whatever it is you won't be using the same amount of bandwidth and storage as youtube for a long time so start small and scale.

[/ QUOTE ]

I lol'd

Emsterdad; what do you mean by "decent price"? Are you trying to validate a business concept by seeing how much it would cost? I think San's response was a bit too harsh, but he is right in that you certainly won't have to worry about 1G, let alone 200TB of traffic until your site is established..

Chry

// fixed stupid sentence
Old 06-08-2007, 11:29 AM

Emster: Don't you mean GB, not TB?
Old 06-08-2007, 04:38 PM

He he, from the answers it seems like maybe i have overestimated the bandwidth/storage needs a little.

Gimme an hour and ill come back with non-youtube levels...
Old 06-08-2007, 05:01 PM

My dedicated server comes with 1500GB of transfer per month. That costs $174. right now they are running a special for buy 1 month get 2 free. If you need more details PM me.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:48 AM

Sorry, I didn't mean to come off sounding overly harsh, I was just kind of shocked with the numbers you put out there.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:30 AM

I used to own a web hosting company. I can set all of this up if you need it.

Depending how reliable, whether your app is cpu or disk intensive, what kind of fault tolerance you need, and how much you want to initially spend there is a huge range of options. A couple of very expensive disk array's could take care of you, or you could buy a bunch of cheap boxes and fill them with 750gb hard drives. (like google) Depending on how you go, you would need 1-10 racks of servers. Initial layout could be as low as $10,000 or as high as $100,000 depending on your needs.

Renting a rack in a reliable colo is usually around $1000 a month.

Bandwith is tricky. 200tb = 600Mb/sec for the month. It would take about 4 oc-3's at 155Mb/sec to take care of you as long as the usage is evenly distributed. If a majority of the bandwith is concentrated during one time of the day, you will need even more oc-3's. Expect to pay from $10k-$50k a month for an oc-3.

When I owned the hosting company someone would come in at least once a month with questions like this. No one ever followed through.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:43 PM

I just curious, is scaling up so expensive? The consensus seems to be 20tb storage and 200tb transfer will cost him at least $10k/mo plus huge setup costs. I just did a quick search for hosting plans and I see inmotionhosting (which I know nothing about) offers 800gb storage and 5tb of monthly transfer for $20/mo. 40 of those would give him the amount he needs for $800/mo. Obviously you can't just get 40 accounts linked together like that, but why is the price per gb of storage and transfer so much lower? Is the only difference whether the server is dedicated or not?
Old 06-11-2007, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just curious, is scaling up so expensive? The consensus seems to be 20tb storage and 200tb transfer will cost him at least $10k/mo plus huge setup costs. I just did a quick search for hosting plans and I see inmotionhosting (which I know nothing about) offers 800gb storage and 5tb of monthly transfer for $20/mo. 40 of those would give him the amount he needs for $800/mo. Obviously you can't just get 40 accounts linked together like that, but why is the price per gb of storage and transfer so much lower? Is the only difference whether the server is dedicated or not?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL @ 5TB for $20. I'm sure once you got anywhere near 1TB they'd boot you. No matter who they are they cannot buy enough throughput to offer a true 5TB for $20 - not to mention they throw you on a shared server with 300 other accounts and you'd crash the server because of I/O and CPU requirements.

All they do is buy a dedicated server from ThePlanet.com for $200/mo and then share it out over 300 different accounts for $7-$20/mo. Most normal accounts are only going to use a couple of gigs per month so most of their servers never exceed their bandwidth. However if you actually did try and use up 5TB you'd max out a 10mb line all month long. Since they're paying minimum $200 for that kind of bandwidth they're going to boot you before you ever get to 5TB.