Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2007, 02:23 PM

Default Basketball rules question

Is it legal to attempt a shot, miss the rim but hit the backboard and get your own rebound before anyone else touches the ball? Does anything change if you airball the shot instead of hitting the backboard?

If there are any current/former referees around I'd really like a reference to either FIBA, NBA or NCAA rules supporting the opinion.

Thanks,

Swede
Old 01-17-2007, 02:25 PM

Default Re: Basketball rules question

[ QUOTE ]
Is it legal to attempt a shot, miss the rim but hit the backboard and get your own rebound before anyone else touches the ball? Does anything change if you airball the shot instead of hitting the backboard?

If there are any current/former referees around I'd really like a reference to either FIBA, NBA or NCAA rules supporting the opinion.

Thanks,

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

An airball is definitely a travelling violation. I believe T-Mac once did an All-Star game did a "pass-to-myself-off-the-backboard dunk". And I believe Steve Francis did it in a regular season game.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks,

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to ref HS and Division 3 College: Catching your own airball is legal as long as the official deems that it was a legitimate shot. In the NBA, though, I believe it would be a travelling violation.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:35 PM

I'll be damned. I always thought the rule was you couldn't rebound your own airball or you'd be travelling. A couple of guys got into an argument at the gym the other night, both so confident they bet $100 on the outcome.

Thanks for the input you two.

Swede
Old 01-17-2007, 03:55 PM

The airball is traveling. Off the backboard isn't.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The airball is traveling. Off the backboard isn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's been quite a few years since I have officiated a game and my post was from memory. Not having my old rules book handy, I just did an internet search. I can't vouch for this site but this is what I found.

Q: A shot is taken by player A1 and the ball does not touch the rim (it's an "air ball"). Player A1 runs over before anyone else and grabs the ball. Is this a legal play?

A: So long as it was a legitimate attempt for goal (in the eyes of the referees), it is legal in all rules except the NBA. (The NBA has a special exception written into the rules for that case, eliminating the need for officials to judge whether it was a pass or a shot.)

Follow-up Q: I guess what I really want to know is why is it a permitted act to shoot an air ball and retrieve the missed shot [in NCAA Ruies]? What rules are violated when a player travels or double dribbles that are not violated in the air ball scenario?

A: This all has to do with control. Control is the key word in both the travelling and dribbling rules. You cited NCAA Rules, so let's use those as our reference. They recently put a specific play situation in the rule book to deal with the "air ball" situation. Rule 4, Section 65:

A1 attempts a try at Team A's basket after having completed the dribble. The try does not touch the backboard, the ring or the flange or any other player. A1 runs and catches the ball before it strikes the playing court. Is this traveling?
RULING: When A1 recovered his or her own try, A1 could either dribble, pass or try again. There is no team control by either team when a try is in flight. [It then goes on to describe how it could be a shot clock violation but not travelling.]

The travelling rule says you have to be holding the ball to travel — you must have control. You not only give up personal control but team control as well when you make a legitimate attempt for goal (no matter how poorly executed). So it can't be a travel. And in fact, since you gave up control of the ball, if you recover it, it is just like any other rebound — you can shoot, pass, or dribble.

So. like I said. HS and College = legal to rebound your own airball, NBA = illegal.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:31 PM

Toro:

Perfect clarification. I myself didn't find this Q and A when searching the web about this, but I'm glad you did. Basically, it all comes down to giving up control of the ball, which makes sense.

Swede
Old 01-17-2007, 05:12 PM

Although it is true that you can catch your own airball. I've tried unsuccessfully to argue the call in about 50 pick-up basketball games. It's just an unwinnable argument on the pickup court.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Although it is true that you can catch your own airball. I've tried unsuccessfully to argue the call in about 50 pick-up basketball games. It's just an unwinnable argument on the pickup court.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop shooting airballs.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop shooting airballs.

[/ QUOTE ]
Lemme guess... next you're going to start calling *fouls*! It's a slippery slope if you allow people to rebound their airballs.