Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2007, 06:14 PM

Default Re: \"buffoonery by blacks whitening NFL\" article by Jason Whitlock

anybody who has spent any time in an urban school and thinks there isn't pressure to conform to 'white society' needs to open their eyes. i've spent time in a lot of them and there is a lot of cultural bias in the educational system.

there is plenty of research that indicates black kids are placed in special ed at a higher rate, identified as behavior problems, etc, independent of factors like school performance and severity of behavior. (so if you are about to respond by saying 'black kids act up more that's why they get in trouble more,' stop, reread the sentence and try again). blacks are also more likely to have abuse cases called in against them by schools despite the fact that research has shown time and time again that race is not a predictive factor in child abuse. (socioeconomic class, btw, is).

i have links to lots of scholarly articles on this subject, but you usually need access via lexis nexis or another academic catalog to read them.

before people blame 'hip hop culture' and all that, why don't they blame NFL culture? it's white NFL fans who cheer when chad johnson does stupid [censored] on the field. it's white people who buy tickets to the games and pay his salary. it's ESPN that loves to lead every highlight with somebody doing a silly dance. if the white owner of his team (or his non-hip-hop loving head coach) would fine, bench or cut his ass for acting like a moron, he'd quit, regardless of how real tupac told him to keep it. money talks.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:17 PM

I suppose if you were really interested you could follow up on it by checking out the books cited, but that's unreasonable.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:21 PM

The NFL is a farce any way. I have mentioned it plenty times before but its a league solely about ENTERTAINMENT AS SPORTS not sports as entertainment.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:35 PM

NT,

that's all fine and good, but what follows your first paragraph has nothing to do with said paragraph. That second paragraph could be supportive of many things (racism, effects of economic disparity, etc etc), but I still don't see what it has to do with white society conformity.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, in terms of education, what is 'white society'? Going through school, there were but a few basic rules to follow as a student:

1. sit down
2. shut up
3. pay attention

The rest was just following instructions. What's inherently white about that?

Also, yes, I realize I'm being awfully simple here. I'm not trying to marginalize/distort anything, I truly just don't know and am curious to find out.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:31 PM

Old 10-19-2007, 11:14 PM

Sidenote on a pet peeve of mine:

[ QUOTE ]

as an african-american who attended one of these schools i can assure you that this is true. i attended a private school where the student body was ~9% african-american,

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you identify yourself as an African-American? Unless you were born in Africa(ignore if you were) then you're no more an African-American than I am an Irish-American.

The term is such politically correct BS that ignores that
A) Black people come from places other than Africa
B) That if you were born in America, you're an American, period.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
anybody who has spent any time in an urban school and thinks there isn't pressure to conform to 'white society' needs to open their eyes. i've spent time in a lot of them and there is a lot of cultural bias in the educational system.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this bias only for blacks? What about asians or others?
Old 10-20-2007, 12:18 AM

Vietnamese, Laotians, and Cambodians really struggle.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:32 AM

why the [censored] is it your job to tell people what to call themselves? black people DO come from africa, and the vast majority were brought here against their will. where else are you going to argue that they came from? jamaica? haiti? those were all slave colonies of forcibly relocated africans.

they have a different historic AND current cultural experience than most whites do, and there is nothing wrong with wanting to call themselves that. next i suppose you are going to say puerto ricans should just call themselves americans - after all, that's part of the US too, right? same for american indians, i mean if you were born here you are an american right?
Old 10-20-2007, 12:32 AM

Blaming hip-hop culture is kinda off-key here (and I'm normally one of the first people to dislike the effects of hip-hop culture on people today). Its really simple - make a load of poor black kids into huge celebrities and give them millions of dollars and they are going to act like total egotistical tw*ts. This is not a black thing (though it may seem this way because of the high % of blacks in the league and the loudest mouths being black at the moment), its is a sports thing that crosses all race divides imo. In Premiership football in the UK, you have exactly the same things going on and the white guys are just as bad as the black guys (often a lot worse).