Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 10:47 AM

Default Re: Official MTT COACHING thread.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
will coach people on how to win races late and make aggressive bets

[/ QUOTE ]

psh why pick you for that with me available?

[/ QUOTE ]

i 5 bet all in with 35o in the 2nd chance wcoop me just so that i cud say i've 5 bet bluffed!! (clayton can second this)

[/ QUOTE ]
I've 5bet bluffed before with 94s not even a wheel draw hand like you.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
no offense, but...

Whoever can pay $200-$300 per hour probably has already made enough money from poker that he or she doesn't need the coaching (unless he or she wants to make even more money) - it's not like you need only 1 hour and that's it.

I understand that you guys can make more money multitabling MTTs than coaching for < $100/h ... but where does the $300 value come from that this forum or a pxf subscriptions can't provide?
If I post a trouble hand in this forum, I not only get answers from the guys who are available for coaching but also multiple others.

I'd love to get a coach myself .. but not at those rates. Anyone ever thought of accepting a % of the winnings from a specified period of time (or number of tournaments) as payment?

[/ QUOTE ]

then get someone charging less than 300/hr.

edit: i'm not a coach, but despite what a good job pays or the real world value of $300, all coaches have an opportunity cost of not being able to play poker. Almost all coaching rates are <than a player's actual hourly rate so he is taking a pay cut in exchange for no variance/something different. to expect someone making 600/hr to coach you for 30 is lol.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i 5 bet all in with 35o in the 2nd chance wcoop me just so that i cud say i've 5 bet bluffed!! (clayton can second this)

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you know what the poker world calls non-lucky versions of you guys? fish.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you know what the poker world calls non-lucky versions of you guys? fish.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, same could be said about you mr. 100r nothing else :-p.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
to expect someone making 600/hr to coach you for 30 is lol.

[/ QUOTE ]
What they make while playing is irrelevant. It's what they are worth as a coach that matters here. If I'm going to pay top rate then I would go to someone who had proven to be a great teacher...not just a great player.

A-Rod is a pretty good ball player...and he makes a ton of money right now doing it...but I wouldn't pay him that kind of money to coach.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:11 AM

what about a staking/coaching(Coach rails pupil) combination - where the coach and the learner are spliting the buy-ins for example 50/50 and the earnings get split 80/20 in advantage to the coach. Over long-term that concept has to work.

I know Variance hits here, but coaches can combine playing and coaching and doing sth. good for their pupils.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What they make while playing is irrelevant. It's what they are worth as a coach that matters here. If I'm going to pay top rate then I would go to someone who had proven to be a great teacher...not just a great player.

A-Rod is a pretty good ball player...and he makes a ton of money right now doing it...but I wouldn't pay him that kind of money to coach.

[/ QUOTE ]

but like, theres no incentive for a player to cut his hourly rate by like 1/10th or something. and there are no people (that i know of) who just coach poker and don't play, and if there were, i don't think they would be very good coaches. poker is constantly changing, you have to be playing constantly to stay sharp/on the cutting edge. so you're just going to have to pay a good amount of money for a good coach, thats just the way it is. to some, it's worth it. to others, it won't be.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no it is completely relevant, poker is a game where great players at least make good coaches. And for them to hurt their hourly just to help you out for 50 because that's reasonable for you makes no sense.

Do hotels allow lower income people to stay in suites for cheaper because the 50$ means more to them then 500$ for some baller. Coaches are there for students therefore students don't get to control the market. If you want a 30$ coach go get one he won't help you as much as one for more.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
LFT, my team is down 2 with 8 seconds left inbounding from the half court line. What play are you drawing up?

[/ QUOTE ]

doublescreen for the guy who can shoot, second screener rolls to the basket.

God damn I miss basketball. Went from every day for twelve years to twice a week with old dudes.

[/ QUOTE ]

the pickett fence
Old 10-02-2007, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
LFT, my team is down 2 with 8 seconds left inbounding from the half court line. What play are you drawing up?

[/ QUOTE ]

doublescreen for the guy who can shoot, second screener rolls to the basket.

God damn I miss basketball. Went from every day for twelve years to twice a week with old dudes.

[/ QUOTE ]

the pickett fence

[/ QUOTE ]

don't get caught watching the paint dry
Closed Thread