Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2007, 08:12 PM

Default Mentoring program, shady?

I met a gentleman in the business and investing section a of bookstore. He recommended that I read "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" and asked me what my interests were. I told him I was going to college etc, and he said I might be interested in a mentoring program he was a part of. I was like "sure" and gave him my number and didnt think anything of it.

Flash forward to last week he calls me and asks me how I liked the book. I tell him I like it etc and he askes if I would like to do a phone interview. I comply and he calls me and we do the interview and stuff. And he says that there is a meeting in town if I would like to attend. He says there is a pretty rigid process to get in the program. I am still not clear what the "program" is. Basically he explained to me that this millionaire dude has set up a program to help young people become financially independent .

The website I went to had the name APex International

Does anyone know anything about this?

Should I go to the meeting?

Does this seem like a good idea?
Old 05-24-2007, 08:22 PM

Default Re: Mentoring program, shady?

Wow lots of different companies going by the name Apex International, so that's no help.

Its most likely some sort of network marketing program, unless the guy is just trying to pick you up [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Assuming the first, there is no downside to going to a meeting and seeing what its about, assuming you have the time. Even if you aren't interested, it never hurts to see how others pitch this type of stuff.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:26 PM

ok thanks,

do you think there is a chance is this is legitimate and could offer me large realizations and open the door to becoming finicailly independent?
Old 05-24-2007, 08:30 PM

Depends how much you're willing to put into it, what kind of contacts you have now plus a good amount of luck. In other words it's just like everything else in life. Personally I hate MLM organizations that misrepresent themselves to their 'independent business owners' (quixtar/amway comes to mind).
Old 05-24-2007, 08:42 PM

Sounds like a network marketing business. Here is a link to a 2p2 discussion from several months ago:

Network Marketing Thread
Old 05-24-2007, 08:59 PM

I guess it might be worth going along on the 10% chance that this is on the level as it would be a great opportunity if at all true. But i would wear a very sceptical hat, leave my wallet at home and fully expect to be sold some kind of pyramid scheme.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ok thanks,

do you think there is a chance is this is legitimate and could offer me large realizations and open the door to becoming finicailly independent?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

J