Leg Curl- /16 /14 /12

Dumbbell Shoulder Press- /16 /14 /12
Dumbbell Lateral Raise- /16 /14 /12
Old 03-15-2007, 01:56 PM

Default Re: Workout---Thoughts

you mixed up biceps and triceps
Old 03-15-2007, 02:00 PM

Looks like overtraining and waaay too many sets of assistance exercises like bicep curls.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:06 PM

This split is very weird. Its like a full body and a split routine got together and had a bastard child. I also don't like the amount of volume.

Workouts should be ~10-12 sets IMO. Atleast for things you're doing. I give some leeway to more "modern" rep/set splits such as a 10x3 etc. Obviously I go way over my sets limit when I use those configurations, but that is neither here nor there.

I would not #1 make up your own splits. Copy someone else's. Not what someone on the board gives you, but a professional. I really doubt anyone who isn't an "advanced" level lifter is capable of designing a solid system or really has the need. (Advanced being used loosely. Lifting weights with moderate success for 4+ years will make you advanced even if you are relatively weak. Not everyone is gonna squat/pull 3x bodyweight.) #2 Some systems will allow you to choose your own exercises etc. You can do these. Maybe ask for advice on pairing/selection, but don't modify these. Someone put some thought into their program and probably did things for a reason. #3 Lists of three things sound cooler than lists of two.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:34 PM

I was using the High Rep/ Low weight as a form of cardio cuz i hate doing cardio.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:51 PM

So like for back is 4 exercies to much?

I've always done 3 or 4 exercises for like Back/Chest etc
Arms not so much usually like 2 so think I went a bit overboard on those.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:25 PM

CDS,

Do HIIT for cardio. I do 1 exercise per body part. Sometimes I get frisky and throw in an ancillary one.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:00 PM

I worked out for years and years, I've tried many different types of training. What are your goals? If you want to be HUGE, this is the WORST routine ever. I started working out @ 160lbs on a 6'1" frame, 4 yrs later I was at 215 lbs and 7% bodyfat without juice.
Firstly, you are overtraining and your body is not going to respond to this routine (i.e you won't grow). I really suggest cutting back on the excercises for each day. You should not spend more than an hour at a time working out (I am assuming that you are not wasting time, talking, waiting 10 min between sets, make your workouts strong and intense).
Second, center your workouts around BIG lifts, whole body exercises, never around isolation exercises. Your back day should begin with deadlifts, and this is 1 of the 3 MOST important movements. The 2nd lift is squats, start your leg day with them and base your leg routine on them (You aren't even doing regular back squats at all, you must do them, AND NOT ON A SMITH MACHINE!!). The 3rd lift is bench press, either barbell or dumbell, flat or incline (or both). Base your whole routine around these 3 lifts, everything else is extra (but not to be ignored).

Your routine sucks because you're using two different types of training in the same cycle. Do high volume for 8-12 weeks, then switch to low volume (higher weight), NEVER DO BOTH. Cut out all the redundant movements (eg bentover rows, cable pulls and seated rows are the same movement, DON'T DO IT 3 times a day). Add a shoulder day, trust me. You are overtraining here, WAYYY over training. Feel free to PM me if you have questions, I'd be happy to map out a general routine if you told me your goals, etc.
BTW, Yes, you are doing way too many excercises for most of your body. Your upper arms must be so tired after doing all those back excercises, then doing 90 reps of curls.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:09 PM

I'm 6'1-6'2 and like 195-200
I've normally been like 175-180 in my most fit stages so basically I'd like to lose some weight, ass, thighs, mid section n get a bit more defined and add some bluk/def in my shoulders, back and chest. While trimming my legs and ass which seem out of proportion with rest of body.

So no I don't want to get "big" per se right now in this stage.

To be honest I've been doing close to the above M-Tue-Thur in terms of lifting but I added the second phase to try after seeing Ben Wallace's workout(i would normally do some cardio on those days and throw in one or two machine exercises with low eights)

I figured by adding the extra supersets/high rep training I could ditch the running which hurts my knees and probably work my muscles a bit more.--lose some weight
Old 03-15-2007, 06:01 PM

Fair enough. How long have you been training for? If your knees hurt from running, then try hittin the bike, or eliptical (kinda crappy), or swimming. You're replacing cardio with semi-high volume isoation movements. Don't take this the wrong way but, thats ass-backwards. You are NOT getting much of a cardio workout by curling a dumbell 15 times instead of the regular 10 times. You should incorporate cardio into your regular routine but at a different time (if possible) or a different day. I used to take a run as soon as I woke up in the morning and workout in the evening.
It sounds like you want to add a little bit of lean muscle to your build, but not too much, while losing some fat. Honestly, you should ditch the high volume (this isn't really even high-volume, more like warmup sets) and stick with a basic structure of 4 X 8-10 (1st set warmup), and really focus on a couple key, whole body excercises (back squats + bad knee = surgery; so that might be out of the question). Tall frames aren't really build for squats, you're built for pulls (deadlifts, etc), I'm sure you've heard that stuff about levers, etc.

The other thing is that your goals are mixed, you want to lose weight but gain muscle mass? You must cycle bulking/cutting phases to get the most of your training. I suggest you go on a bulking phase for 2-3 months, and really hammer out 3 quality sets/excercise. After this you should enter a cutting cycle, amp up your cardio to 4-5 days/week and lean out your diet.
As an aside, there is a high-vlume training method that Poliquin wrote about (it originated in Germany) that really works (if you don't mind puking your brains out during workouts), essentially it is a 10 X 20 (yes, 10 sets of 20 reps) approach that uses the same weight at 60% of your 1RM. Its freaking tough, but it works and it hurts. Heres a link: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/luis13.htm