Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2007, 08:18 PM

Default Future of sng\'s online?

hey guys,

I am currently deciding where to put my focus and energy on. I am debating between NL cash or SNG's + MTT's.

I have a roll of $2500. My goal is use poker as a part-time job for the next 1-5 years. My target income from this part-time gig is $2000-$5000/month.

Now, I still have lots of things to learn; be it NL cash and Sng's. The dillema I am in right now is: If i am going to put all my energy and effort, I want to choose a game has a better potential.

I used to specialize in limit sng's, however since the legislation happened, limit sng's has been near extinct.

I don't want for this to happen again as I put in alot of time and energy into mastering limit sng's.

So my concern is, will online sng's be profitable enough in the next few years for someone to earn up to 5k/month? I would hate to devote all this time and energy into learning SNG's, only to have the games dry up and having to start all over again by learning a new game like NL cash.

So...do you guys think it would be wiser to start from scratch and learn NL cash? or build on my SNG foundation?

What are pros and cons to SNGs' vs. NL Cash?
Old 10-03-2007, 08:22 PM

Default Re: Future of sng\'s online?

There are probably less than 10 ppl consistently making $5k/month at SNGs right now. Good luck.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:22 PM

Why is that? Because the games are really dried up???
Old 10-03-2007, 08:29 PM

There's a profit ceiling, so the best and brightest move on to cash. (At least the ones who aren't crusty old dudes that don't like to learn new stuff. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])

SNGs can only support so many good players at the higher buyins ($60-$100s). So marginal players tend to clog up the games, run bad, then move on to something else. Then the games get juicier, marginal players win some and start clogging up the games again... etc.

At the highest buyins, even the bad players generally don't give away a lot more ev than the rake. So the above-$100 pros are playing mostly for VPPs/rakeback - with some soul-shatteringly brutal swings.

Enjoy!
Old 10-03-2007, 09:27 PM

i think that in the future with out the uigea, and safe easy way to deposit, you will be able to 16 table the 60s for 15-20%, and i wouldnt be surprised if you would see ppl beating the 27s for 30%..

this is all just my opinion of course
Old 10-03-2007, 09:41 PM

I don't think you understand. It's not *that* hard to learn optimal strategy to beat the $60s/$27s, ESPECIALLY of you're talking optimal strategy while massively multi-tabling. And there are 100s of people out there in cash who know how to beat SNGs with their eyes closed. If it ever gets that juicy again, winning players will quickly fill in the gaps until the best possible ROI goes down.

Right now it appears the balancing point for this at the $60s is something like 10-12%. Although I'm not sure if that hasn't sunk lower for someone trying to play 5-6 days a week.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's a profit ceiling, so the best and brightest move on to cash. (At least the ones who aren't crusty old dudes that don't like to learn new stuff. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])

SNGs can only support so many good players at the higher buyins ($60-$100s). So marginal players tend to clog up the games, run bad, then move on to something else. Then the games get juicier, marginal players win some and start clogging up the games again... etc.

At the highest buyins, even the bad players generally don't give away a lot more ev than the rake. So the above-$100 pros are playing mostly for VPPs/rakeback - with some soul-shatteringly brutal swings.

Enjoy!

[/ QUOTE ]

Suzzer you make me sad =(.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:59 PM

so your saying that there are enough good players not playing sngs (who would come back to play them) to keep rois down should droves of terrible players reappear?

maybe, maybe not. if ps was all of a sudden advertising play for real money, safe, and legal and one click transfers on prime time comercials....

i think roi's would skyrocket. you might start seeing 250k ppl on stars everynight
Old 10-03-2007, 10:05 PM

Yeah but there are droves of guys like me out there who are struggling to learn cash games who would quickly make the switch back and 25 table softer games.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah but there are droves of guys like me out there who are struggling to learn cash games who would quickly make the switch back and 25 table softer games.

[/ QUOTE ]

My evil plan is to suggest everyone that there is no money in sngs and make them switch to cash so I can hog all the profits. Is that what your doing Suzzer [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]?