Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2007, 07:21 PM

Default Re: Crazy Airfare Sales

[ QUOTE ]
A few tips I have read about.

Lowest prices are almost always found about 8 weeks from the departure date. That is when all airlines start pushing to fill the planes up. From there they almost always rise.

Check out Tuesdays from noon to midnight for the best deals since that is the day that prices are adjusted.

Tuesdays about 8 weeks out = $$$ savings.

Btw. I read this in a CNN article I think so if I can dig it up I will. It had some other nice hints as well.

Greg

[/ QUOTE ]

I just want to clear up a couple things:
The best fare can be found anywhere from 2-6 weeks out generally. At 8 weeks the flights aren't really even in an airline's thought processes. For more peak travel (Spring break, summer, holidays) you're more likely to get good fares closer to 6 weeks than 2, but a lot of the off-peak times you can still get them inside 2 weeks. Use farecast to see if you're getting the best fare now.

Prices are adjusted 3 times a day and inventory is updated at least once a day (and continually to the airline's website), so buying on a certain day/time has no effect. Fares are typically cheaper on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Saturdays, though - and on flights in the early AM or evening/nighttime.

-d
Old 06-05-2007, 08:12 PM

I am working on finding the best price for a flight June 29th/30th to Aug 11th/12th from Minneapolis to Mexico City. The prices keep going up and down. I should of bought 29th - 11th at 309 a while ago, but didn't. Now those same tickets are 400.

I just can't figure out when to buy!
Old 06-05-2007, 09:12 PM

I am looking to fly from SJC to Reno on the weekend of the 16th. I've already missed the $39 each way special Southwest was running. It's now $73 each way.

For those familiar with Southwest, when will be the cheapest for me to buy the tickets? Now, or closer to the 16th?

PS, yes, it has to be Southwest--the only reason I'm going is to earn a free round trip ticket. I have to fly before the end of the month to earn the free trip.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:39 PM

First google result for upgrading to business class.
Some of this may be interesting if you are a non regular flyer (like myself).

http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-get-a-F...s&id=112294
Old 06-05-2007, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am working on finding the best price for a flight June 29th/30th to Aug 11th/12th from Minneapolis to Mexico City. The prices keep going up and down. I should of bought 29th - 11th at 309 a while ago, but didn't. Now those same tickets are 400.

I just can't figure out when to buy!

[/ QUOTE ]

$351 on Delta right now for a Saturday-Saturday flight, but you have to make two stops. MSP-CIN-ATL-MEX.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am looking to fly from SJC to Reno on the weekend of the 16th. I've already missed the $39 each way special Southwest was running. It's now $73 each way.

For those familiar with Southwest, when will be the cheapest for me to buy the tickets? Now, or closer to the 16th?

PS, yes, it has to be Southwest--the only reason I'm going is to earn a free round trip ticket. I have to fly before the end of the month to earn the free trip.

[/ QUOTE ]

It will only get worse from here on out. You're within 14 days, hope you can get something decent. If by chance you do get something cheaper on SW after booking the $73, you can rebook for no penalty and get a voucher for the difference, but I wouldn't count on it.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:10 AM

When I've been looking at Southwest, they're usually pretty set early on, so most times I'd buy from them anytime within 6 or 8 weeks.

Also of note, most airlines allow you to re-fare your ticket if the price drops after you've purchased... I'm not sure if there are fees involved with this, though.

-d
Old 06-07-2007, 03:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If the only reason you're going is to earn the free ticket, why not consider the L.A. area? There are a lot more airports and a discount is more likely. You may as well play some poker while you're there.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If the only reason you're going is to earn the free ticket, why not consider the L.A. area? There are a lot more airports and a discount is more likely. You may as well play some poker while you're there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm open to LA, Vegas, or Reno. I only mentioned Reno because I saw a $39 fare there. I also saw a $49 to LA, but that fare ended also. Looks like I can move my flight one day and go to Vegas for the same price as Reno, so I'll probably just do that.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I just want to clear up a couple things:
The best fare can be found anywhere from 2-6 weeks out generally. At 8 weeks the flights aren't really even in an airline's thought processes. For more peak travel (Spring break, summer, holidays) you're more likely to get good fares closer to 6 weeks than 2, but a lot of the off-peak times you can still get them inside 2 weeks. Use farecast to see if you're getting the best fare now.
-d

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this time frame longer for international flights? I've been looking into a flight from NYC to South Africa for on or around September 10, and I'm pretty sure the best price I found today was $300 more than what it was about a week ago (edit: Now that I think about it, I may be wrong about that, but my question about time frames stands).