Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2007, 12:58 PM

Default One Great Idea For Home Or Office

Okay, this is going to be like the whisky review thread, you have to post a problem you have had at home or work and then tell us how you ingeniously solved it. The cheaper and more elegant the better. Hopefully El D will enforce the rules and knock out those posts that don't meet the spirit of the thread. I'll start with two ideas that I think are pretty good.

Problem: Power flickers keep messing up my TiVo a few times a month. I'll be watch The Office a week later and find that 2 or 3 minutes are missing. Or a movie I've been waiting for on TCM for two months that isn't on DVD, the TiVo went to reboot just before it started, so it never recorded at all.

Solution: Cheap UPS unit with only the TiVo plugged into it. You can get reconditioned 500 VA UPS units from the APC company store for about $40. (I think they're really just discontinued units or old packaging, they say reconditioned so the retailers don't get mad.) Plug TiVO only into UPS unit, should run for over an hour on the UPS since it draws so little power, problem solved. No more missing programs.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:03 PM

Default Re: One Great Idea For Home Or Office

Problem: Stupid wireless receiver for my wireless mouse and keyboard has no place to go. On the floor, it get tangled in my feet, on the desk, it gets buried. And with a keyboard and mouse tray, it really can't sit there without falling off.

Solution: I Velcroed the receiver to the underside of my desk. Took about two minutes, it's never been a problem since. And perfect reception from the keyboard tray. Cost about 25 cents for the Velcro.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:16 PM

Problem: Mice in house.
Solution: Get rid of bird feeders, then catch the ones you've got. Hershey bars work great for baiting mouse traps.

Problem: Crap stuck in a glass display jar, like ribbon cany from last year.
Solution: Dump baking soda in. Add vinegar. Watch your eyes and do outside as it will foam violently.

Problem: Car won't start in cold.
Solution: If you have an old car with a butterfly valve on top of the carbeurator, stick a pen in it to prop it open, start car, remove pen.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:24 PM

I'll go w/ some car advice...

Problem: Put the key in ignition, but it won't turn.
Solution: Jiggle the steering wheel back and forth.

Problem: You have an automatic transmission, and when you go to start your car, nothing happens, and you don't think it's a dead battery
Solution: Try starting your car in Neutral. Your car needs t know it's in either Park or Neutral to start, and sometimes the park sensor can wear out.

Problem: you think you need new tires
Solution: Stick a penny in between the tread. if Lincolns head is below the tread level, continue as normal. If you can see the top of Lincoln's head, you should get new tires.

Problem: Engine turns over, but car won't run. You can crank and crank, but the engine never "catches"
Solution: Make sure you have gas. After that, let the car sit for a while. Then, listen really carfully when you turn the key to JUST the RUN postiion (not start). In the run position, you fuel pump should kick on for 2 seconds, to prime your fuel system. If you don't hear a whine for two seconds, you have a bad fuel pump or fuel pump relay. Change your fuel filter first though, because it is a $10 part that often gets ignored, and can block the flow of fuel too.

Problem: Jiffy Lube tells you you need a transmision flush, power steering fluid flush, air filter and a rotator splint.
Solution: Don't believe them because 99% are liers.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:28 PM

To get your whites super white and remove the yellow pit stains I sometimes see you bums walking around with, wash them once in cold/cold with detergent, than again in cold/hot with bleach.

Edit: Can we also ask questions? I have a logitech surround sound for my computer, 5.1 surround sound etc, but the speakers pick up voices (from radio waves I hope), its annoying at night, and I cant turn it off becuase it doubles as my alarm clock. Anyways to stop this?
Old 03-02-2007, 06:10 PM

MrMon, re: velcroing your wireless receiver..

Here are examples of people using pegboards to put tons of things under their desk and declutter completely.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:44 PM

guids,

Shielded cables.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
guids,

Shielded cables.

[/ QUOTE ]

You might also try plugging them into a different outlet. IIRC, this is caused by an improper ground.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To get your whites super white and remove the yellow pit stains I sometimes see you bums walking around with, wash them once in cold/cold with detergent, than again in cold/hot with bleach

[/ QUOTE ]

I find that Oxiclean (in any of it's formulations) works very well on this. If using the powder, soak the items overnight or spray on the concentrated stuff and let it sit for an hour or so. Totally works like a charm.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:24 AM

I don't think it has much do with grounding (it might, but I doubt it). The wires are big and long enough to act as an antenna. Do you live up a few floors? That's usually when you notice this. My college roommate had the same problem.

Shielded cables will definitely solve it. You can also try putting chokes on the cable. They sell them at radio shack. They might work, they might not, but it's cheaper than shielded cables.