Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2006, 05:41 PM

Default Best Value Spirits

While trolling through The Wine Enthusiast site, I ran across their list of the 50 best values in spirits. Some of the names I recognized from past discussions here, some I didn't, but since we have some experts in some of the categories, I'd like to hear what you guys think of their choices. Plus, it might give you some ideas for gift for yourself or others. Remember, this is not the best, this is the best value, so judge accordingly.

The entire list with comments (I didn't include all categories) can be found at:
The Wine Enthusiast - 50 Value Spirits

TEQUILA & SOTOL - MEXICO

SUPERB (90–95)/HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
Fina Estampa Blanco 100% Agave Tequila $35.

VERY GOOD (85–89)/RECOMMENDED
El Tesoro de Don Felipe Platinum 100% Agave Tequila $30.
Hacienda de Chihuahua Plata Sotol $30.

UNFLAVORED VODKA

Old Russian Vodka $10.
Rain Vodka $18.

Pinnacle Vodka $14.
Spudka Vodka $18.

SCOTCH WHISKY

CLASSIC (96–100)/HIGHEST RECOMMENDATION
Bowmore “Darkest” Sherry Casked Islay Single Malt Whisky $65.
The Dalmore Cigar Malt Northern Highlands Single Malt Whisky $35.

Caol Ila 12-Year-Old Islay Single Malt Whisky $45.
Chivas Regal 12-Year-Old Blended Whisky $28.
The Balvenie “Doublewood” 12-Year-Old Speyside Single Malt Whisky $42.
The Famous Grouse 12-Year-Old Blended Malt Whisky $35.

AMERICAN WHISKEY

CLASSIC (96–100)/HIGHEST RECOMMENDATION
W.L. Weller 12-Year-Old Kentucky Straight Bourbon $18.

Buffalo Trace Kentucky Straight Bourbon $20.
George Dickel No. 12 Superior Brand Tennessee Whisky $17.
Knob Creek 9-Year-Old Small Batch Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey $25.

Old Overholt Kentucky Straight Rye Whiskey $14.

BRANDY

Chocoviac Cognac with natural vanilla and chocolate flavors $29.
Domaine de Laubade X.O. Bas Armagnac $52.
Mary Duffau Napoleon Bas Armagnac $30.
Mendiola Pisco Select Peruvian Quebranta Grape Brandy $26.

Busnel Vieille Réserve V.S.O.P. Pays d’Auge Calvados $33.
Cognac Toulouse-Lautrec V.S.O.P. Grande Champagne Cognac $39.
Domaine d’Espérance 5-Year-Old Bas Armagnac $42.
E&J X.O. Vintage Reserve Brandy, Aged 7 Years $22.
Jules Gautret 10-Year-Old Cognac $39.
Laird’s 7½-Year-Old Apple Brandy $26.
Origine V.S. Private Reserve Cognac $26.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:46 PM

Default Re: Best Value Spirits

Everybody who's read my posts about whiskey knows of my love for the Dickel, but that Buffalo Trace is also very, very good stuff. Tad more expensive, but the bottle even comes with a cork-type top rather than a screw-on!
Old 12-09-2006, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Everybody who's read my posts about whiskey knows of my love for the Dickel, but that Buffalo Trace is also very, very good stuff. Tad more expensive, but the bottle even comes with a cork-type top rather than a screw-on!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I recall that, but what about the Weller? I've never heard anyone mention that before and it's darn cheap at $18! Sounds like someone needs to make a trip report.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh. And everyone who reads my posts on the subject knows my love for Knob Creek. Cool to see they both made the list [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Edit: If the Weller is just $18, I'll do the trip report.

Edit 2: Maybe the Dalmore Cigar Malt, the two top vodkas, and E&J XO, too.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh. And everyone who reads my posts on the subject knows my love for Knob Creek. Cool to see they both made the list [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Edit: If the Weller is just $18, I'll do the trip report.

Edit 2: Maybe the Dalmore Cigar Malt, the two top vodkas, and E&J XO, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to join you in the Dalmore, and a couple of the Armagnacs look like a really good deal as well. For $10, the vodka has to be worth a shot. I'm already a Doublewood fan, as are several here, and someone once mentioned Caol Ila.

Where are our tequila experts? I'm pretty sure the list has some things they didn't recommend and I want some opinions.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:26 PM

Default A Visit To Mecca

Went to Sam's Wines in Chicago this past weekend to track down some of these bargains and is it ever impressive. If you are at all interested in fine alcohol, you HAVE to visit this place. I went to the store just off North Avenue, just across the street from the Goose Island Brewery, which was unfortunately closed at the time. Imagine a large grocery story with 30 foot ceilings just filled with nothing but wine, beer and spirits. And all at good prices with people who know what their talking about. A place that when you say you're interested in Calvados, they pull out two $50 bottles and let you taste both to help you decide. Brands you've never seen before, rare bottlings, even weird Polish wild cherry cordials that someone has been looking for for 10 years and asked me to find. It's Alcohol Mecca! If you are ever in Chicago, you MUST go to this store or one of their two others. If you live within 300 miles, make a weekend of it, it's that impressive.

So, I managed to drop way more than intended, but picked up some interesting items, both on and off the above list. Haven't tasted any yet, but as I get through them, I'll post reviews. In Scotch, I got the listed Bowmore Darkest, the Dalmore Cigar, and the Caol Ila, I picked up Redbreast Irish Whisky which isn't on the list but has been recommended here, I got the Rain Vodka, highly recommended by them, and only $24 for a 1.75 litre bottle, the Domaine de Laubade X.O. Bas Armagnac (in a gift pack with four glasses at no extra cost), and some other things not on the list that they recommended but will just have to be revealed later. Oh, and a case of Goose Island Honkers Ale. Didn't have time or money for wines, but I sure wanted to.

Now to find the time to taste...
Old 12-19-2006, 01:32 PM

Default Re: A Visit To Mecca

I was thinking about doing some shopping today. If I go, I'll swing by my favorite liquor store (pales in comparison, apparently, but still respectable) and see what they have that's on the list.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:22 PM

For bourbon, Evan Williams is the best value you'll find. Not exceptional by any standards, but good enough to drink on the rocks. Better than Jack or Jim and cheaper than either. I drank gallons of this stuff in college. A good flask whiskey.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:19 PM

I just got back from the liquor store, and I actually forgot what you had purchased from that list. I was wanting to get somethings you didn't, but I didn't do very well. I also got the Bowmore Darkest and the Rain. However, I did track down the Weller. I will likely be reviewing all three shortly.

The selection there was limited. The only other things on that list they carry are the Pinnacle Vodka, all the whiskey/whisky, and the E&J XO. I'll def. pick up the XO on the next trip, and maybe the cigar malt, depending on your review. On the plus side, some of the prices were very good compared to the prices on that list. I got the Rain for $16 for a liter, and the Bowmore for $44. Weller was the same, $18.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:40 PM

Taste Off: Fris Vs. Rain

All in all, I'd say Rain is pretty solid vodka. It has some of the rubbing alcohol smell to it, but it's rubbing alcohol flavor is even more subdued than Fris. It's slightly sweet, and a little smoother. I'd say this is clearly better than Grey Goose, too, and for less money, but that's not all that hard to do. I wouldn't mind getting the opinion of someone who drinks more vodka than I do on it. I don't have a bottle of Chopin, Hangar One, or Ketel One to run that comparison, but I've been toying with getting a bottle of Hangar One for a while now. I'll likely revisit this one then.