Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2007, 11:26 PM

Default Verbal Attacks

Two incidents happened this weekend at Foxwoods 10/20 LHE that surprised me.

1) Floor is having words with a new player at our table. I ask Floor whats up. He tells me new player wanted seat at other table but he thinks a guy at our table jumped in front of him. I tell the new guy that the guy who took the seat at the other table had wanted to move for over an hour. He says back to me that he wanted his seat at this table and the woman who took it was behind him on the list which sounds like a different issue. Meanwhile another guy at the table tells me to "shutup and mind your own business". I told him that I wouldn't shut up and he had no business talking to me that way. So the guy who tells me to shutup has it out for me - and we isolate each other a couple of times. I take him down both times, no words, he leaves table. He comes back later, still no words, then he leaves for other table.

2) Next day I'm raising LP with AJo. I get reraised by SB. A notorious loose passive player calls in BB. Flop is QT8r a double belly buster for me. Turn is a blank. I call flop and turn bets. River is a 9. Its checked to me and I bet. SB folds. BB calls. I flip the straight and after I take in the chips, the SB, a solid man outweighing me by at least 40 lbs. with a military like buzz cut who is sitting two seats from me, leans towards me full of rage and spits out the word "Fish" rather loudly. I'm stunned and do the first thing that comes to mind - which is suck in my cheeks, pucker my lips and make a fish face moving my lips like the fish that I apparently am (hey at least I didn't say "Glub glub glub want to join the club?"). He turns beet red and I think a moment too late that I am about to get beaten to a pulp. Then instinctively I tell him I'm on an open ended straight draw (I meant a belly buster but I was flustered). And he mumbles something like "yeah on the turn" which was flat wrong. I get corrected by a couple of others at the table who try to point out I did in fact have a double belly buster draw on the flop. Meanwhile he is continuing to harangue me about being a fish and sucking out blah blah blah. The guy two to his left, a serious fish, tells him to be mindful of rule 4 (don't criticize another player's strategy) and to let it go. About half an hour later buzz cut raises pre-flop w/ QQ and gets re-raised by AKo. Flop is Axx turn a blank and river a Q giving him the suckout set. I turn to his end of the table and say "Officially I have no comment". 3 hours later buzz cut leaves and apologizes to me having realized I did nothing fishlike on the hand he was just reacting to having his Aces cracked. And I apologize back to him for my juvenile behavior. In retrospect I wish I had not justified my play and just let him think I was a fish. I also think baiting him was not a good idea...

Any comments on my behavior would be appreciated. Also, is it surprising that the dealers said nothing in both instances?
Old 05-22-2007, 11:39 PM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?
Default Re: Verbal Attacks

[ QUOTE ]
Any comments on my behavior would be appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt you will appreciate my comments. My first thought about halfway through your post was, grow up. You really made a fish face at another alleged adult? WFT? Sounds like you really have some issues.

Remember, Poker doesn't build character but it definetely exposes it.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt you will appreciate my comments. My first thought about halfway through your post was, grow up. You really made a fish face at another alleged adult? WFT? Sounds like you really have some issues.

Remember, Poker doesn't build character but it definetely exposes it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh Fish face is a GREAT come back and he should have said the Glub Glub Glub want to join the club.

I think steams just kidding though [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

If not he can play at my table anytime [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I have all sorts of annoying things that would have him tilted before he played a hand [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-23-2007, 12:48 AM

Just ignore it. No response is always the best response. Or, a very, very feint smile.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My first thought about halfway through your post was, grow up. You really made a fish face at another alleged adult? WFT? Sounds like you really have some issues.

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought the fish face was the best part of this tale. Gotta love a realtime under stress display of extemporaneous humor.

Not so good was the choice of folks to aim it at. OP is gonna get his teeth handed to him someday with that sense of timing.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, is it surprising that the dealers said nothing in both instances?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's the dealer's job to teach people manners.

From what I've read about Foxwoods here, if a dealer had to speak up every time a player did something that showed a temporary (or possibly permanent) loss of sanity, he wouldn't have time to deal poker.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just ignore it. No response is always the best response. Or, a very, very feint smile.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what i do, the very faint smile. Like "hey, i'm hearing all the dumb crap you are saying, but your life isn't worth my toenail, so i'm not responding."
Old 05-23-2007, 03:48 AM

Making a fish face..? Grow up is right!
Who cares, keep your manners and dont get involved in discussions with obvious low brain powered individuals.. what's the point? It seems that you're in the habit of wanting the confrontations [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-23-2007, 06:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Any comments on my behavior would be appreciated. Also, is it surprising that the dealers said nothing in both instances?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, this isn't part of the dealer's function and petty insults at the table are standard. Even if a situation required the house to get involved, the floor would be the person, not the dealer.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:05 AM

I think its funny, but you've got to anticipate the reaction of others. In the end, what you did was very counter-productive. The best most profitable table is a loose, happy, gambling table. When individual players get into these little spats with each other I think its negative EV, and can have a real impact on the way the game plays out. And additionally, if I want an unpleasant time I can go to work.

and the dealer can't possibly police this stuff. The best way for him or her to do so is just difuse it with humor but you can'r expect them to keep the game moving and play kintergarten teacher on every hand.