Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 01:31 AM

Default Poker and Job Interviews

I couldn't find a good place to post this. If it needs to be moved please do so mods. I know this doesnt apply to you hardcore degenerates out there but anyone else feel free.

I am a senior at UA and graduating in May with an Operations Management degree. I am starting to interview in the next couple weeks for jobs after graduation. Recently, I was wondering about poker in relation to this. Basically, in most interviews they will ask about your hobbies and such and well the vast majority of my free time/hobby time is made up of poker. My question is do you think its at all wise to mention poker as a hobby during an interview or leave it out? I have left it out previously because oh noes its gambling and such but i'm not sure how it affects anything. Any comments appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-07-2007, 01:34 AM

Default Re: Poker and Job Interviews

Job.... interview?
Old 11-07-2007, 01:37 AM

for the most part, leave it out. most people don't understand the quantitative and game theoretical skills that poker can help you develop. For most it's a negative thing. In a job interview you want to err on the side of caution.

The one caveat would be in a quantitative finance position. A lot of those guys are poker players.

But, unless you see a clear advantage based on something the person you are talking to says, it can be reason to exclude you if it's close with another candidate.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:45 AM

With my small sample size of job interviews I have had pretty good success mentioning my poker playing. The key is to translate why being a good poker player makes you a better candidate for the position you are applying for. Analytical thinking, money and time management, the competetive nature it takes to be a good poker player are usually awesome selling points to job interviewers. Obviously stay away from spewing your results out, and stick with boasting the skills it takes to be good.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:57 AM

not wise during the interview.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:15 AM

I would leave it off your resume but you can feel free to bring it up during the process after feeling out the person interviewing you.

I think I got my last two jobs because we talked more about fantasy sports then the actual position.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
not wise during the interview.

[/ QUOTE ]

people dont understand it. they will think u r a degenerate.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:56 AM

Read the interviewer; some people are able to process "I play a lot of poker and it has taught me these psychological, mathematical, and logical thinking skills." Some people aren't going to get that poker is good for you, but will be fine with hearing "My hobby is playing games, like chess and poker." And other people with have an automatic negative association as soon as you say the word poker.

People who have a resume gap have to manage it a little differently but coming out of college, just use it if it'll help you, mention it if it'll be neutral (because it does take up a lot of your time, it makes sense to mention neutral things that you like), leave it alone if it will hurt you. If you can't read which situation you're in, err on the side of cautious, but to interview well in general you need to figure out where the interviewer is coming from.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:57 AM

It really, really depends on the job.

I have a job starting as a markets trader here in NZ starting next year. Without poker on my CV there's no chance I would have got the job. The traders loved that stuff. On the other hand, with some jobs I think you'd have to leave it off.

If you do mention poker, try and have good language in mind. Talking about risk management goes down well, as does being self taught in my experience. But yeah, I think you need to know your audience.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:02 AM

I would prefer to leave it out because i think people are misinformed fools who will assume you have gambling issues.

More importantly however, "Job.... interview?"