Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 04:12 AM

Default Re: Poker and Job Interviews

[ QUOTE ]
I would prefer to leave it out because i think people are misinformed fools who will assume you have gambling issues.

More importantly however, "Job.... interview?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, not all of us play/run like gods on the poker table. I'm one of the many that will be slaving for the man.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:42 AM

I personally wouldn't mention that unless you're in sales..
or if you notice evidence of them playing poker.

Depending on your location that can be as polarizing as a forearm tattoo if you are too enthusiastic about it.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:54 AM

Like in poker, a big part of being a good interviewee is reading the interviewer. Some interviewers are looking for someone cool to hang with at an insufferable workplace. Some interviewers are "by the book," sticking to a preset list of questions. Some interviewers who are going to be your boss want to see if you will be a slave to their grind. It's important to come across as genuine while actually saying a lot of what they want to hear.

Thus, with poker, I would definitely only bring it up if there is a clear opening. For example, if the interviewer seems pretty cool and asks, "what do you like to do in your spare time?" You might talk about socializing with friends and playing some poker and mention how much you enjoy the challenge of poker (discipline, decision making under stress, etc.). See where it goes from there.

But in general, leave it out. Too likely that the interviewer will worry about you having one of dem der gambling sicknesses.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:13 PM

would you really want to work at a place that doesn't think you're cool that you play poker anyway?
Old 11-07-2007, 12:37 PM

i think that mentioning poker completely depends on the job u apply for ... for finance industry it is no prob as long as you can convince them you are not a gambler. within finance professionals poker is aknowledged as a skill based games and i know traders all over the world having their private home games. and these games are not played for peanuts
Old 11-07-2007, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I personally wouldn't mention that unless you're in sales..
or if you notice evidence of them playing poker.

Depending on your location that can be as polarizing as a forearm tattoo if you are too enthusiastic about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

LONG SLEEVES FTW!!!!!

Old 11-07-2007, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would prefer to leave it out because i think people are misinformed fools who will assume you have gambling issues.

More importantly however, "Job.... interview?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, not all of us play/run like gods on the poker table. I'm one of the many that will be slaving for the man.

[/ QUOTE ]

Until you win a few more Sunday 100k amirite?

That said, I'd place it in your Resume complete with detailed Financial statistics (ROI, $/hour if good). Basically make it sound big. Don't post bad stats, obviously. If it comes up, bring up math and evaluating skills, nothing else. If they're big into poker it'll be fine. If not, you can convince them otherwise.

Guys, I had a videogame guild I was a part of on my Resume; if you can talk about yourself correctly and bring out your strengths, you could have baby raper listed as a hobby and get away with it.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:21 PM

I'd leave it off of the resume and feel out the interviewer to see if it'd be wise to bring it up. You can usually tell if someone will view poker as degeneracy or see it as 'cool' or maybe even recognize the skill it takes to consistently win, appreciates the merits of that skill, etc etc.

Also, whoever mentioned that it was job-dependent was right.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:34 PM

loll, a job, hahaha
Old 11-07-2007, 03:49 PM

Maybe like 10 more sunday 100K wins for the entire 1st place prize lol. I think I will just read the interviewer and go from there. Thanks for yalls input