Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2007, 10:15 AM

Default How much do timing frequencies affect your decisions?

The nature of variance shows up in all facets of poker. You do not get dealt AA once every ~200 hands, you are dealt it a few times within a ten minutes, then not again for an hour. How does such variance affect your decisions?

(1) Most people have tendencies of what type of hands they like to 3bet in position. If you've been hammering a player by 3betting them in position a bunch in the past 20 minutes and you pick up JTcc in position to his raise, are you more inclined to 3bet again or slow down in fear that he's ready to play back light?

(2) You've been dealt a bunch of premium hands in a row and shown them down for stacks so you are sitting on a 400BB stack. You raise AA and get 3bet. You normally have a certain frequency to slowplay here by calling.. does this frequency increase or decrease due to the gameflow?

(3) You have been 3bet hammering a regular with him calling preflop and folding on flops. You 3bet him in position and he calls, you completely miss the flop.. are you more inclined to keep hammering on him because he hasn't adjusted yet? Or do you check back and give up because you think he's just about ready to wrecklessly play back with air?

(4) You have been getting smoked. Awful session, down a few buyins after a half hour. Everyone seems to be flopping the world on you and you can't connect at all. Are you more inclined or less inclined to start bluff-raising potentially inviting flops? (ie. do you start doing it more often because you can't win pots any other way, or do you completely shut down and play "standardly" until you start running better?"
Old 10-09-2007, 11:13 AM

Default Re: How much do timing frequencies affect your decisions?

Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and just not answer any of these, although this could be the most interesting thread we've had in a while.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:13 AM

1)
Slow down here, but I think I take it too far, I assume he's going have the same lack of tolerence for the 3bet pwnage you describe.
Knowing when they're ready to fight back is a main diff between lag and lagtard. No hard and fast rules.

2) Looks like you're "playing the rush", and the guy is snapping you off, cold call. Given stack sizes, I pussy out and raise.

3) Same as 1.

4) Im on tilt by now, god knows what I'd do, sit out.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:14 AM

(1)cut down on trouble hands like ATs, AJo, KQo etc. But w/ small pairs and SCs like JTs you can flop huge and then he will see your range as wide and play back light.

(2)do not get tricky w/ AA deep. Just try to get the monies in asap.

(3)do not assume he will play back when you do not know that he has adjusted. keep on playing this way until proven otherwise. personally, i keep hammering until he plays back once and then wait for good hands.

(4)best advice: quit the session. if that is not an option: when running bad, bluffing usually makes the situation even worse. tighten up and wait for good hands. opps might think you are nitty and play back light.

most important advice is: do not overadjust. try to play your normal game as often as possible and make adjustment due to gameflow only when you are sure that the situation screams for it.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:15 AM

(1) if I think he's able to play back at me I'm more opted to just call
(2) decrease, they think that I can't have a hand every singel time and are more likely to stack of light preflop
(3) if he hasn't played back yet I keep hammering, he could also think that "well he won't bet with air this AGAIN so he probably wants me to bluff him so I just fold"
(4) I just stop playing for a while
Old 10-09-2007, 11:18 AM

1.) slow down, with this dynamic JTc does much better if you call.
2.) neutral, whether or not i 4bet depends on other things.
3.) bet, cant say why.
4.) shut down play nitty nitty nitty.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:26 AM

1. Slow down
2. Oh with 100bb stacks I slow down, I think the most important factor by far is that villains will have very wide reraising ranges.
3. Depends on the kind of flop.
4. Less inclined
Old 10-09-2007, 11:27 AM

Just to clarify.. (2) is 100bb eff stacks, I just said that you have a big stack to reiterate that you've been pwning..

Interesting answers so far..
Old 10-09-2007, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just to clarify.. (2) is 100bb eff stacks, I just said that you have a big stack to reiterate that you've been pwning..

[/ QUOTE ]

Then flat call is easy. He range is very wide, maybe he's thinking "This nit is getting out of his box 'cos he won a few in a row, time to bring him back to reality".
Old 10-09-2007, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then flat call is easy. He range is very wide, maybe he's thinking "This nit is getting out of his box 'cos he won a few in a row, time to bring him back to reality".

[/ QUOTE ]

no one should think you are a nit...ever