Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2007, 10:38 AM

Default Re: African Greys

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Was completely expecting a discussion on Aliens found in Africa.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-06-2007, 11:42 AM

I wish I could see the attraction. What can a bird do with you that's so great, that a dog can't provide, or a cat? Besides just making with the words, which sounds like it might even be tedious after a while.

I mean, you can't take them for a walk, throw them frisbees, or let them sit around with you in the yard, or take them to the beach or a park. What can they really do besides sit and squawk, fling seeds around, and bob their heads up and down?
Old 04-06-2007, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wish I could see the attraction. What can a bird do with you that's so great, that a dog can't provide, or a cat? Besides just making with the words, which sounds like it might even be tedious after a while.

I mean, you can't take them for a walk, throw them frisbees, or let them sit around with you in the yard, or take them to the beach or a park. What can they really do besides sit and squawk, fling seeds around, and bob their heads up and down?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, parrots are smarter than dogs. It sounds weird, I know, but you can have a similar relationship with a parrot that you can have with a 4 year old.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:22 PM

Blarg, I took my African Grey to the beach and sat with it in the yard dozens of times, and went for plenty of walks with her (well, I did the walking the lazy bird sat on my shoulder).
Okay, I wouldn't necessarily try flinging frisbees or tennis balls at it.

These parrots are very sensitive, keep that in mind.
I woke up one morning, with my Grey not looking too well and I thought I'd keep an eye on her to see if she'd get better otherwise take her to the vet in the afternon. Big mistake, she didn't survive that morning. Best thing's to take the bird to the vet straight away if it doesn't look too fit.

I still miss the bird, and I'm fairly sure I'll get another one some time.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Blarg, I took my African Grey to the beach and sat with it in the yard dozens of times, and went for plenty of walks with her (well, I did the walking the lazy bird sat on my shoulder).
Okay, I wouldn't necessarily try flinging frisbees or tennis balls at it.

These parrots are very sensitive, keep that in mind.
I woke up one morning, with my Grey not looking too well and I thought I'd keep an eye on her to see if she'd get better otherwise take her to the vet in the afternon. Big mistake, she didn't survive that morning. Best thing's to take the bird to the vet straight away if it doesn't look too fit.

I still miss the bird, and I'm fairly sure I'll get another one some time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry to hear about this.

We had a grey cheeked parakeet (a mini parrot...small but acts like a parrot) for about 10+ years while I was growing up. His name was Fred, and I was very attached to him (as he was to me). One night, when I wasn't home, he suddenly passed away. He got very sick, very quickly. We took excellent care of him. Birds are very sensitive and can die out of nowhere when they get sick. I still miss him to this day. It is just amazing how close you can get to a bird.