Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2007, 08:28 PM

Default Re: 117k poker tracker stats..

[ QUOTE ]
What topics do WLLH and GSIH cover that SSH and TOP do not?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's really the opposite; SSH and TOP cover things that most beginners aren't ready for. SSH is especially insidious in that it covers things that look simple when you read them at first, but can lead to some spewy misunderstandings when you misapply them (as many people will).
Old 05-08-2007, 08:52 PM

IMO WLLH 4 Beginners FTW*
*I havent read GSIH but from what Ive heard its also def good for the beginners

seriously, even after reading WLLH I (as per various milestone posts Ive made) and then buying SSHE did not stop me doing some pretty gross misapplication of SSHE.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:55 PM

I'm with Xhad on this one. I read WLLH cover to cover a couple of times but I was still pretty lost until I picked up GSIH. At that point everything fell into place and I suddenly "got it". In fact I can't really stress how much of an eye opener GSIH was, especially given how simple the book appears to be on the surface!

Needless to say my next purchase was SSH and a visit here. Since then I've been pretty vehement in my book recommendations which go GSIH -> SSHE -> WTO -> ??? (perhaps the Stox book).

I always advise against WLLH when asked because I spent months trying to unlearn a lot of what it "taught" me.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:57 PM

Ive read that book cover to cover 3 times not counting page flips and I'm fairly certain I still misapply concepts in SSHE.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:25 PM

I am working on digesting SSHE and apparently should pickup GSIH for my next meal, SSHE has not left my side since Christmas, literally, and has curled covers and yellow stickies everywhere. I have read many of Ed's posts in here and got a lot out of the "why aren't you guys crushing low limits holdem" but I really wonder who to listen to. So I guess the real question is "do you guys have problems with or take issue with specific statements in SSHE"?
Old 05-08-2007, 09:49 PM

Its not really taking issue with any of the material. Most people on this forum regard 2+2 books as the definitive writings on poker. The problem is its like putting a super charger on your 16 year old kids car. Most can't handle it without some practice and experience.

Ex: In one situation he advocates raising middle pair for hand protection. Some would take that way to far and think they need to raise middle pair every time. They are only considering one thing, their hand. SSHE in most cases has you thinking about 10 or more items at once. For a new player this can be overwhelming and lead to incorrect decisions. Crawl before walking, walk before run etc.

I think Bozlax is correct that SSHE also has limited scope for online play. Games are much much tougher online then live. In my limited experience, live play tends to mostly have bad players with good partially mixed in, while online is very mixed between good and bad players. Knowing the difference and how to adjust accordingly is the hallmark of successful online players. SSHE seems to be mostly geared towards playing against poor players.

You ask about whose advice to take on these forums, thats a tough thing to sort out. Some very seasoned posters give out extremely poor advice. Post count means jack. While some new posters have excellent advice. Take everything with a grain of salt. After none here has written a poker book.(Ed Miller and Stoxtrader are two notable exceptions). Read the forums long enough and you will know whose posts to look for and whose to avoid.

If your looking for somewhere to start (as far as determining good vs bad posters) go the micros library in the FAQ and go to the bottom of the library. You will see a bunch of posts where players were "thrown in the well". For the most part this is a good list of posters to start looking for until you are more familiar with this forum.

Off the top of my head. (no offense to those missed)
MrWookie
Aaron W.
Bozlax
MilesDyson
(these guys have all been in the well btw).

Ask around many posters damn near stalk these guys and read all their posts.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's bad enough to suggest throwing SSH at a nOOb right out of the blocks, but ToP?!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm remembering my experience with these two now. I had lost about $300 in the first year I played and decided enough was enough. I wasn't playing any more until I had a better idea what I was doing. I went to the book store to get a poker book. (i was gonna say SSHE was my first book but when I started playing I read Ken Warren's book. That might have something to do w/ the $300.)

I chose SSHE over TOP because it was the cheaper of the two books. It was completely over my head and made me dizzy. It did point me to this site tho. I went back and got TOP and it was much more gentle on my mind. Whether it was because I was getting some indoctrinization here or not can be debated. But I remember thinking that TOP should be read first.

(I'm not debating your point, I wasn't getting them right out of the blocks. It's just what made me remember my experience.)
Old 05-08-2007, 10:32 PM

Is the pokertracker steal stat based on opportunities to raise in cutoff or button without a player yet in the pot?
Old 05-08-2007, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I challenge you to dig it out of the closet and quote them. Not that I think WLLH is a perfect book, but it's far from junk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the 3rd edition adamantly opposes pfr JJ,QQ & AKo in the blinds, which I have a big problem with. Don't have the book right with me so I personally can't quote.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
chill out sparky, he was responding to buzz-cp. And I think it was high time someone put him in his place too. nh bilge. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

ZOMG U R SO GETTING OWNED 50/100 HU NOW STARS TABLE ACATRONZ III