Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2007, 04:35 PM

Default Coeur d\'Alene Resort

I'm playing here on Saturday. Has anyone played it? Overrated? Underrated? How long does a round take? Any thoughts or info appreciated.

http://www.cdaresort.com/golf/
Old 07-01-2007, 05:30 PM

Default Re: Coeur d\'Alene Resort

Jesus that looks amazing, how much does it cost?
Old 07-01-2007, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jesus that looks amazing, how much does it cost?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea, and I don't want to know. My dad is paying, it's a birthday trip.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:02 PM

I have not played it, but I have heard it is fun to play. naturally it has to be overrated, rounds must be slow, and the moving island green is a tragedy and abomination. However, if I get the chance to play it even I could probably have a good time there. CdA is beautiful and the resort is nice. I have only been there a couple of times and didn't get to play golf. I read some good things about other courses up there. I don't know if you will get to play them. IIRC Circling Raven is supposed to be pretty good. I suggest you enjoy the scenery and drink, and you will probably enjoy the course.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:54 AM

Resort course, so the fairways are pretty forgiving and funnel into the middle. The course itself is immaculate, the type where you feel guilty taking a divot because the fairways are as good as the greens at most courses. Not sure on the average length of a round, but just plan on enjoying the scenery and shooting a good score.

Also, as HDPM mentioned, Circling Raven is supposed to be awesome, and it's 30 min or so from the resort I think.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Resort course, so the fairways are pretty forgiving and funnel into the middle. The course itself is immaculate, the type where you feel guilty taking a divot because the fairways are as good as the greens at most courses. Not sure on the average length of a round, but just plan on enjoying the scenery and shooting a good score.

Also, as HDPM mentioned, Circling Raven is supposed to be awesome, and it's 30 min or so from the resort I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering the experience, I'm not really concerned about a long round. Circling Raven must be pretty new, I grew up playing the Northern Idaho courses, and have never heard of it, let alone played it. There are quite a few decent courses in the Coeur d'Alene area.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:55 PM

I have a golfing buddy that plays it a couple times of year. I think it costs about $220 for a regular round lately, although like any resort type place they expect you to do the weekend package where you stay there.

My friend describes it as "an amusement park for golfers." Everything is perfect. And as Nolan said they funnel the fairways so your ball stays in the fairway more often then not. Of course I think he also mentioned that there is virtually no rough on the course.

You also get a caddie that goes around with you and tells you anything you need to know about the course, plus he does other caddie stuff like rake sand traps and finds your banana slice tee shots. The golf carts are pretty tricked up too. As he says it's one of the most pleasurable golfing experiences you can have. Remember the purpose of the course is for you to have fun, it's not a US Open setup.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:59 AM

Just got back to Portland. Quick bullet points, since I'm too tired for a big trip report:
- Being spoiled is fun. Water taxi from the resort to the course (while a shuttle takes your clubs over so they can be cleaned). Caddy meets you at the dock. "Sports massage" off of the driving range. Sweet.
- Course was in insane condition, as expected.
- While the course is definitely a resort course in the sense that the majority of fairways funnel, there are some definite challenges. I'll get around to posting pictures, but some of the "signature" holes gave up ease for coolness and the photo-op factor. One of the par threes is an absolute bitch, especially with where they put the pin.
- The caddy system is nice, but being so far away from the cart screwed with my game. I'd think I had the right club, didn't, and was too lazy to go back and get the right one. Caddy was good. They have a forecaddy system, but he gave a lot more advice then I expected a forecaddy to give (I thought they pretty much just ran around the course). Sucked for him that we were only a threesome. We tipped $60 for the two of us, and when we noticed our playing partner only gave him $10 my dad tossed him a sleeve of Pro Vs.
- Par on the 14th, floating green. Yardage for the day was 145, with a strong wind right in our face. Green is really pretty large, obviously the water plays a big psychological factor, but it's not difficult to hit, even with the wind.
- It's really not a bad deal. Expensive, but for what you get, worth it. We got a hotel/golf package, and it ended being $150 each for the golf, and $150 for the room. The rooms at the resort are REALLY nice, as is the rest of the resort.
- It was SLOW. I'd expect they might be having to lower their rates in the future, but I don't know how courses like that normally react to bad business. Apparently there's a new course in the area, Black Rock, that's private, but is popular enough already that the celebrities/athletes that used to play at the Coeur d'Alene now play there. We only played in a threesome, there was a twosome in front of us, and I know for a fact there were several empty tee times surrounding ours (I saw the tee time sheet). This on a Saturday in July.

So that's that, until I get around to posting some pictures. Great course, and with Coeur d'Alene being as beautiful as it is, definitely worth a trip to the area if you want to play some golf and enjoy the outdoors.