Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 01:53 PM

Default Why Get a Tatoo?

I've been thinking about getting one that looks cool/reps a cool philosophy (on left shoulder). But other than it being a nice shiny thing that convey's a portion of my personality, I can't figure out why to get one. Do you need a backstory to get a tattoo to avoid being annoyed by questions?

What are some reasons to avoid getting one?
Old 09-10-2007, 02:04 PM

Default Re: Why Get a Tatoo?

They're good if you want to be different exactly like everybody else and maybe are a bit of an attention wh*re. They generally don't seem to communicate much to me otherwise except self-absorption and a streak of impracticality. The way I see it, if you want to have a philosophy, live it. A tattoo doesn't do that for you, even a little, no more than wearing a cross makes you a good Christian. In fact having to make such a fuss about it makes me believe a person is trying to convince himself of something he doesn't really believe yet, and it make me more wary regarding how much he really knows where he's at.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:12 PM

My personal opinion is that a tatoo should represent something more important than life i.e. love, remembering someone now dead. Although this view is clearly subjective, I cannot understand someone getting a tatoo of their football team. Don't get me wrong I love football but they couldn't give a fk about you so why would you brand yourself for someone who will never even know your name.

Having said that this design is pretty cool and if I was to get one, this would be it.

Old 09-10-2007, 02:32 PM

Another tattoo thread huh? Perhaps this one will be different because it's the lounge.

I got my first tattoo when my father was near death. Just got my most recent one a year ago to mark (heh) my 5th wedding anniversary. I have four tattoos. They all signify an important point in time.

If you read the other tattoo threads in oot, you'll see lots of ideas for ink, reasons why/why not to get tattooed, etc.

I caught some guff from my mother about my tattoos. I explained to her that it's nothing new, just that their acceptance has become more mainstream nowadays. My Viking ancestors from back in the day covered themselves head to toe in tattoos, brands, scarifications, and piercings. They must have looked bad ass on those long boats.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They're good if you want to be different exactly like everybody else and maybe are a bit of an attention wh*re. They generally don't seem to communicate much to me otherwise except self-absorption and a streak of impracticality. The way I see it, if you want to have a philosophy, live it. A tattoo doesn't do that for you, even a little, no more than wearing a cross makes you a good Christian. In fact having to make such a fuss about it makes me believe a person is trying to convince himself of something he doesn't really believe yet, and it make me more wary regarding how much he really knows where he's at.

[/ QUOTE ]

blarg smith much?
Old 09-10-2007, 03:37 PM

What does that mean?
Old 09-10-2007, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What are some reasons to avoid getting one?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because your opinion of what is cool is going to change over time. Or it should, assuming a normal maturing process.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:56 PM

My wife of 23 years came home from the office one day and informed me she wanted to get a tat on her lower back.

While I was initially intrigued by this idea, a week or so ago I told her that, according to OOT, any tattoo that she can't see, but I can when doing her, was considered a "tramp stamp".

Now she's thinking upper groin area. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-10-2007, 05:59 PM

roundguy,

she has been your wife for 23 years? or she is 23 years old?
Old 09-10-2007, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, some people just thinks it looks good.