Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2006, 01:51 PM

Default Did I play this hand to aggresive?

Party Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $0.25/$0.5
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $15.42
UTG+1: $4.55
Hero: $13.15
MP2: $3.45
MP3: $15.80
CO: $16.70
Button: $5.15
SB: $10.80
BB: $13.50

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is MP1 with 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, 2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises</font>, 3 folds, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (7.4SB, 3 players)
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 raises</font>, Hero calls, CO calls.

Turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (6.7BB, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero caps</font>, CO calls, UTG+1 calls.

River: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (18.7BB, 3 players)
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero caps</font>, CO calls, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 calls all-in $0.05</font>.

Results:
Final pot: 29.8BB

UTG limps but doesnt limp reraise, so I put him on a PP 99 or less, maybe a suited connector. He is a decent player so far but hit a few unlucky boards.

CO is LAG/TAG preflop, but I think he doesnt raise light after 2 limpers. I put him anywhere JJ++ KQos+ AK etc, maybe 1010

After UTG check-raises I thought he hit his set, CO just called so I put him on KQs/AKx, maybe AA

From there I went with my reads, not many scarecards so cold calling flop, then trying to get as many bets in as possible, am I wrong somewhere?
Old 12-30-2006, 06:09 PM

Default Re: Did I play this hand to aggresive?

*grunch*

Looks good to me. You got nearly as many bets into the pot postflop that was possible. Cold calling two bets postflop is probably more of an expert play than I would make ... I guess if you make it 3 bets postflop CO might fold. If you make it 3 bets and CO sticks around, well that gives us additional info about his hand. UTG is the most aggresive postflop, but from his preflop action it's hard to put him on a hand that's beating us. CO livens up on the river Ace, but even then I don't know that I'm that concerned. If he has KK or AA I'd tip my cap and pay him off.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

UTG limps but doesnt limp reraise, so I put him on a PP 99 or less, maybe a suited connector.

[/ QUOTE ]
Without extensive experience with this player, you're here is waaaaay too narrow.

[ QUOTE ]

He is a decent player so far but hit a few unlucky boards.

[/ QUOTE ]
"hit" and "unlucky" in this context seem to contradict, thus this statement confuses me. Is he a decent player and running bad or a decent player and running good?

[ QUOTE ]

CO is LAG/TAG preflop, but I think he doesnt raise light after 2 limpers. I put him anywhere JJ++ KQos+ AK etc, maybe 1010

[/ QUOTE ]
This is probably pretty accurate range.

[ QUOTE ]

After UTG check-raises I thought he hit his set, CO just called so I put him on KQs/AKx, maybe AA

[/ QUOTE ]
What set are you referring too? [Hint, he doesn't have a set of Ks and he doesn't have a set of 6s] So, if you feel he has a set, he has a set of 3s, and you should go to war with him ASAP because PFR is probably a calling station and will definitely stick around if he hit a King.

[ QUOTE ]

From there I went with my reads, not many scarecards so cold calling flop, then trying to get as many bets in as possible, am I wrong somewhere?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Bet the flop unless you have a read that says "PFR bets 100% of the time when checked to." Even then, I prefer to bet given your relative position. You need to start thinking about your position relative to the Pre-flop raisor. Now, I realize that on this relatively dry board, w/ K high, PFR rarely checks this through. But when he does, it is terrible for you. If he raises you, EP either calls or folds. Both situations are good for you. If EP calls, you can either 3-bet it, or set up a great c/r on the turn trapping EP for two.

As played, I pull the trigger on the flop. It is just too likely that LP has a King and will pay you off, and that EP has a weak King and will pay you off, or has two pair and will go to war. I feel this is a situation that does not call for a slowplay - that was your intention, right?

As played, the rest of the hand isn't bad. It is mildly scary that CO raises the River, but not that scary. You're ahead of EP 100% of the time here. Go ahead and cap it.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:18 PM

Bet the flop. Stop worrying about other sets when you hit one. The probability of set over set confrontation is so small, you can fire away with impunity on all streets here.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet the flop. Stop worrying about other sets when you hit one. The probability of set over set confrontation is so small, you can fire away with impunity on all streets here.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's not good advice, i don't think.

i probably don't cap the river, but it looks like it's going to get capped anyway.

this hand would have been much easier to play had you b/3b flop.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:28 PM

shadow,

which part is not good advice? Do you slow down with your set in 3-handed pot cause you are afraid that someone else has a higher set?? Sure, this will happen once in a blue moon, but you will make MUCH more money than you will lose to a higher
set.

With this board, at least up to the rivered ace, I don't see anything worryisome. UTG's play is consistent with possible pocket aces, so MAYBE it's OK to slow down, but the river is getting capped with or without you.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:32 PM

you can fire away with impunity on all streets here.

i think the notion of "flop a set, bet/cap everything" is bad.

statistically, set over set is rare. empirically, however, it looks to be the case here. just because something is rare doesn't mean that you shouldn't factor it in to your hand reading decisions. in the last nc thread (or maybe this one?), i posted a couple of those hands where i thought that it was pretty obvious that i was in a set over set situation.

rely on hand reading, not vague maxims.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:51 PM

Shadow,

I was not putting forth an absolute maxim. It only pertained to this particular situation with this board and these betting patterns by villains.

Of course, "flop a set, bet/cap everything" is NOT a good advice [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Peace!
Old 12-30-2006, 08:09 PM

Right, it doesn't matter much if something is rare when there is evidence that it has occured based on the way the hand is played. But, I don't think we're worrying about set over set until the river raise by CO. Until CO wakes up, I'm "bet/capping" against EP all day long, unless the board gets really ugly.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:26 PM

On the flop, get out your...

Then go get the drink of your choice.

Neither villain's line looks like AA or KK.