Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2007, 10:46 PM

Default Intuition

I am a dedicated poker player and my development has not been aided by books and studying the mathematics of the game. Subsequently I feel like I sometimes lack certain fundamentals, but can make up for this by making better reads and decisions.
I have one concern in my game at the moment.. that is acting upon situationally specific but common, repetitive betting patterns of my opponents. In the most important of hands, I am going to play based on their actions. There is always assigned a level of importance to a hand - that could be based on things like the size of the pot, tournament position, relative stack sizes etc.

Sometimes however I will pick up on a betting pattern of my opponent but not be able to act upon it. I'm not talking about something like "raised 3x from UTG" but much more specific encompassing different variables.
I'll pick up on them because I have seen them occur many times before - maybe at the same table, or another game altogether.
I can't act upon them because I don't know what it means yet - but I do know that it means -something- and is not random.

My question is - would you agree that with the more experience you gain, the number of these recognisable patterns increases and so does their situational complexity?
Would you then also agree that it becomes harder to define them as tangible? And if so, how do you go about identifying them as fast as possible?

Sorry if this sounds too obvious or too broad in perspective, or if it makes little sense at all!
Old 11-11-2007, 12:02 AM

Default Re: Intuition

[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes however I will pick up on a betting pattern of my opponent...I'll pick up on them because I have seen them occur many times before - maybe at the same table, or another game altogether. I can't act upon them because I don't know what it means yet - but I do know that it means -something- and is not random.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some part of our brain has figured out the pattern and gives us the green light to attack or red light to fold.
That's why it's called intuition.

If we realize why we are giving ourselves the green or red light it changes from INtuition to a solved logic problem (OUTuition??)
Old 11-11-2007, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

My question is - would you agree that with the more experience you gain, the number of these recognisable patterns increases and so does their situational complexity?
Would you then also agree that it becomes harder to define them as tangible? And if so, how do you go about identifying them as fast as possible?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really understand the leap here. I agree with the first part.
I don't understand why it would become harder to define the as tangible, I would say it is easier.
Playing good poker is very much about understanding your own thought processes, as well as your opponents.

As you grow as a player you should not be making decisions based more on gut feelings, you should be more and more aware of exactly what you are thinking and what others are thinking.

I do agree, however, that you can start to recognize certain patterns before you understand them fully.
I try to write down a specific hand if I notice something and go back and look at it in PT later.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:55 AM

The answer to your questions is yes.

From a liquidpoker interview with H@LLINGGOL a year ago: "Experience is the basis of your intuition."