Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 08:40 PM

Default Re: Moving up in Micro limit

I didn't realize that, thanks. Is there somewhere I can find info specific to 6-max?
Old 09-26-2007, 09:13 PM

If you think you can beat .5/1, and you don't have a problem reloading if you go busto, take a shot at it. You should play the highest level you can beat. The goal is to win the most monies, right?
Old 09-26-2007, 09:20 PM

most players here in microville are proficient in both full ring and 6max. Our own MrWookie has written some of the seminal articles on the subject. If you want specifically 6max stuff, head to the small stakes short-handed forums. Some outstanding players post in there, milesdyson, scarytiger, deathdonkey, oink and the like are some notables. We here in the micros like to consider ourselves all-purpose players, so post all you want here if you feel more comfortable.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:21 PM

Shoo, I do wha I waan!

Skip a level if you want, there is nothing magical about working up through the ranks by hitting every rung. Just keep an eye on your bankroll and don't wait too long to move down a level when you run bad.

Oh, and staying at a table for more than an hour or so without winning a hand is pretty stupid.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll lose two buy-ins very quickly when my monsters turn into second-best hands on the river, then move up to recoup my losses.

[/ QUOTE ]

How has nobody commented on this strategy? I think there is much more danger in this line of thinking, than there is in skipping a level.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'll lose two buy-ins very quickly when my monsters turn into second-best hands on the river, then move up to recoup my losses.

[/ QUOTE ]

How has nobody commented on this strategy? I think there is much more danger in this line of thinking, than there is in skipping a level.

[/ QUOTE ]
There's something wrong with doing this? ruh-roh! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-26-2007, 10:10 PM

I play .25/.50 six max (stars) quite a lot. So I am going to mention a couple of adjustments I have made when I play at that level but first a heads up: I'm not an expert player. OK you are warned, now:

Take a look at your preflop raising standards, your hand selection by position, and the over all actions of the specific players at the table. You my find yourself raising, too often, in the wrong position, or with the wrong hands if the table is loose and aggressive preflop as so many of them are.My win rate is up at .25/.50 six max since I cut way back on trying to isolation raise.

Another thing I discovered in review and with the help of this forum was that I was, too often, staying in the hand through the turn and then folding the river. I have starting folding more hands on the flop, but seeing more showdowns with the hands I do play.

I don't think it matters too much whether you are playing .10/.20 or .25/.50 if the players are playing similarly and for the most part, they are. So let your bankroll and your comfort zone dictate the level you play.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, this is pretty dumb.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:25 PM

Yes, as a strategy it's about as dumb as you can get and I don't recommend it, but here's how it happened. I took a shot at .50/1.00 and won a couple of buy-ins. I decided to try .25/.50 again and had bad results, so I went back up to .50/1.00 - rinse, repeat. Anyway, that bastard Variance has decided it's time to turn things around, so I've finally started winning a few buy-ins at .25/.50.

I really appreciate all of the input from you guys, especially the information about 6-max, which is usually not covered in books.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:41 AM

I have posted at least twenty long posts on the lack of wisdom in playing with chasing money and the like.

Your thinking here is wrong. Trust me its wrong. Chasing may seem like a good idea, but it will cost you in a big way.

If you can't handle the swings at the lower levels they are going to kill you at the higher ones.

I suggest now is a good time to do some concept reviews and figure out what the motivation for playing poker is for you.

If you feel you are playing good poker, I have developed 3 hedging strategies to facilitate going up in levels that I have used with short bankrolls, but now on my third run up the tables (I cashed out twice before after downswings) I am going with the basic minimum bankroll concept and its really helped balance the play for me, because I am no longer playing with scared money, and I feel confident in my ability to win, its been very easy to move up now.

I started with 5 bucks two months ago and am now at $260 playing at $1bb 6 max tables with 60 bb to work with. It's still short stacked but I have 400 bb cushion at the lower level so I am not concerned of losing my bankroll.

If you are capable of making good table selection decisions, are able to play disciplined and not worry about losing, then eventually you will move up.

Just remember however that no level is beneath you and despite the pace and the patience required to work through the lower limits - it is experience and confidence that will always allow you to improve your game so that when you do go up, you are better prepared than trying to rush up.